One wire thinner than the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Anyone ever had a case where one conductor appears slightly smaller than the other in a cable assembly? Found some brand new 14-2 where the hot appears smaller than the ground and neutral.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Scientific enough for me.

Wish I had calipers on hand though. Curiosity has me. I wonder if this is a defect or actually a high level of normal tolerance at the factory.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have found very questionable, downright wrong mistakes in the manufacturing of nm-b (romex)
And yes scary enough to make a guy question whether he should stay in this business.
Uh-Oh...........come save the day Arc Fault circuit interrupter.............well let’s not go there.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I’ve posted it here years ago

1) While pulling in some12/2/g nm-b I noticed a bumpy area in the jacket. So I took a knife to the area, and by god there was a set of crimp barrel connectors there. That was enough to make me gasp. Now somebody here played it off as just a simple mistake that it got sent out like that and that it was probably done for a continuity test between spools of conductor, I don’t care, S like that should never have made it out.

2) Another time I noticed some 12/3/g jacket distorted, cut it open to find that the twisting machine must have gone mad. Twisted so tight that the insulation was displaced and conductors shorted together.

3) not nm-b but had some SEU cable printed as 4/0 but actually was something more like 2/0

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I’ve posted it here years ago

1) While pulling in some12/2/g nm-b I noticed a bumpy area in the jacket. So I took a knife to the area, and by god there was a set of crimp barrel connectors there. That was enough to make me gasp. Now somebody here played it off as just a simple mistake that it got sent out like that and that it was probably done for a continuity test between spools of conductor, I don’t care, S like that should never have made it out.

2) Another time I noticed some 12/3/g jacket distorted, cut it open to find that the twisting machine must have gone mad. Twisted so tight that the insulation was displaced and conductors shorted together.

3) not nm-b but had some SEU cable printed as 4/0 but actually was something more like 2/0

I think you once even posted pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.