Open Delta and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
So, one of my journeymen was asked to read the frequency of an open delta (with neutral stinger) system at the panel. He read the following with a Klein meter that has a frequency switch setting.

A-N 60hz
B-N 60hz
A-B 60hz

however...
C-N 320hz
C-A 420hz
C-B 520hz

Is there a theory reason for this? Or is there are problem with the system?

I don't think I have ever been asked to read frequency.

Ingenieur

Either the meter is bad/misused or a ton of harmonics from vfd’s or something and it is reading the highest rather than the fundemental

Besoeker

Question:

Aren't harmonics multiples of the fundamental ie,

60Hz, 120Hz, 180Hz, etc?
Thy are. But typically just odd multiples.
My experience with 3-phase systems is mostly variable speed drives where the harmonic frequencies are 5th, 7th, 11th, 13th etc. (6n±1).
The figures given by the OP don't seem plausible for a 60 Hz system and can't really be attributed to harmonics. A frequency of 520 Hz is not a harmonic of 60Hz.

Besoeker

Yep
but who knows the accuracy
if they are valid readings what else could it be?
you would expect mostly triplen 180, 540 etc
I'd expect triplen mostly on single phase loads.
An open delta is three phase. Of course we don't know what the loads were or even if the system was actually loaded.

You question whether they were valid readings. I'm inclined to think not.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, one of my journeymen was asked to read the frequency of an open delta (with neutral stinger) system at the panel. ...
I've seen High Leg Delta (aka Stinger leg), I've seen Open Delta, but I've never seen High Leg Open Delta. I've only seen it in textbooks, never in real life.

But if that's what you have, it would look like this:
3-phase-open-delta-voltage-supply.jpg
I see no point in measuring anything from L3 (assuming that matches your "C" phase) to Neutral, it's not a valid connection for anything. If you have anything with a Switch Mode Power Supply or VFD connected to this system that might be producing harmonics, someone should rethink that; this is NOT going to be good for anything electronic.

Frequencies don't change through transformers. How your meter READS frequency might be affected by the oddball connection however. I would pay no attention to that.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Did you measure voltage from C to B or to ground or neutral?

If C is open, and its just picking up noise, no telling what the frequency meter is going to read.

Also, if I remember right, I believe some frequency meters often count "0" crossings to determine the frequency. So when the waveform gets close to zero, it can cross back and forth several times due to harmonics, even if the harmonics aren't very large compared to the voltage. The meter can misread this as a higher frequency.

So that could explain the higher frequency, and the fact that the frequency doesn't measure as an exact harmonic.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You do not have voltage readings taken with a low impedance meter?
The most likely possibility for me is that C is actually open and all that is being measured is capacitively coupled noise.

mivey

I've seen High Leg Delta (aka Stinger leg), I've seen Open Delta, but I've never seen High Leg Open Delta. I've only seen it in textbooks, never in real life.

But if that's what you have, it would look like this:
They are quite common in a lot of commercial locations where you have mostly single-phase load and a small amount of 3-phase like a motor or small piece of equipment or A/C unit. There are many on residential as well where 3-phase A/C used to be all the rage.

gar

Occupation
EE
171031-1741 EDT

Put a scope on it and see what the waveform looks like. Syncing the scope to AC line gives you a good phase and frequency reference.

Besoeker

171031-1741 EDT

Put a scope on it and see what the waveform looks like. Syncing the scope to AC line gives you a good phase and frequency reference.
It's a good suggestion and probably what you or I could and would do.
Techniques we have access to and experience with. Not all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.