Open Delta Transformer Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradHall

I work for a small utility and am the engineering technician. We have a customer who would like three phase power at his property. There are two primary lines that run along his street. We can install two transformers with an open delta (high leg b-phase). One transformer will be larger than the other. The problem is I cannot find a formula for the transformer calculations. I've heard the capacity of the transformers will be 83% of their normal rating. Is that correct? The house is a little over 3,000sq-ft. Assuming a 5-ton heat pump with electric heat, I've estimated the maximum load for the house to be 21.5KVA. The shop will be 1,800sq-ft with three phase shop equipment. Unfortunately, I do not have the load information for this equipment. I?m assuming an air compressor and saws. I will eventually verify the actually equipment loads. So, my question is how to size the transformers? Will the house load and two of the three phases for the shop be on one transformer and the third phase be on the second? For example, 21.5KVA for the house and 9KVA (for math purposes only) for the shop. 21.5KVA + 6KVA (two of the three phase loads) = 27.5KVA If we use a 37.5KVA transformer at 83% = 31.125KVA capacity on the larger transformer. The remaining 3KVA would be on a 10KVA transformer. Is this correct or could somebody please give me an example of how to do the calculation? Thanks.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
An open delta transformer will produce 57.7% of a closed delta.
So for a bank of (3) 10kVA units we would get: (3x10) x 57.7% = 30kVA x .577 = 17.31kVA

Now lets play with the math:
Effective size is 17.31kVA which comes from only 2 transformers, therefore the effective rating of each 10kVA unit = 17.31kVA/2 = 8.66kVA, which is your 86.6%.

Now what about unequal size units?
A common formula for individual core units is:

kVA(small) = .58T
kVA(large) = .58T+S

where T = your balanced three phase loading and S = your single phase loading(L-L)

bvadams

Open Delta Fault Calculation

Open Delta Fault Calculation

Does anyone know how to calculate the available short circuit current on an open delta? I have three systems that I am working with:

25kVA and 50kVA with 120/240V secondary
37.5kVA and 37.5kVA with 120/240V secondary
75kVa and 75kVA with 240/480V secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.