open delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
LarryFine said:
But then, you won't have a center tapped secondary, either. Nor will you be supplying line-to-neutral loads.
The OP was about open-delta in general, you are the one who keeps bringing up 240/120 systems. Not every POCO service feeds line-neutral loads.

And they were open Deltas?
Yes, they are. Although all new services from our major POCOs are wye connections, the smaller "rural" ones are not as rigid.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jim dungar said:
The OP was about open-delta in general, you are the one who keeps bringing up 240/120 systems. Not every POCO service feeds line-neutral loads.
I keep doing that as part of the explanation. My bad.

Most people who work on 480v systems don't need this stuff explained.

mpross

Protective Relaying

Protective Relaying

It is also used in certain protective relaying schemes such as distance relaying where you need a voltage reference. The broken delta connection comes in handy for this as a way to connect your PT windings...

mpross

Protective Relaying

Protective Relaying

...but I won't even try to explain here. I recommend the book by Blackburn. :smile:

peter d

Here's an open delta setup with a 3 wire primary (no MGN present.) I don't know if the primary is delta or wye. This is SoCal Edison so if anyone know about their distribution system perhaps they can chime in on the characteristics of the primary, because I'm curious about it myself. :)

DSC00329.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
Here's an open delta setup with a 3 wire primary (no MGN present.) I don't know if the primary is delta or wye.
You should have shot the picture from the other side. :smile: It looks to me like both transformers are double-ended (i.e., line-to-line), and that both transformers' second HV bushings are in the shadow of the lower cross-arm.

It looks like (calling them A-B-C left-to-right) A phase hits the far bushing on both, making the primary also open-Delta. I see three conductors dropping, and what looks like a jumper through the left transformer's bracket.

peter d

LarryFine said:
You should have shot the picture from the other side. :smile:

I did, but I haven't uploaded them to photobucket yet. :)

They are indeed double bushing xformers, and the left most phase (A? C?) is connected to both of the bushings. So the primary connection is an open delta.

As you surmised there is a jumper across the secondary terminals. The load this is serving is a single well pump.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Open Delta

Open Delta

Larry Fines explanation is excellent. It is a cost thing; using 2 single phase xfmrs to simulate 3 phase from a 3 phase source. Although the only time I have seen it used is in 3-phase sensing as in automatic transfer schemes for backup generators or in protective relay schemes using 3-phase sensing. I have not seen it used for anything other than control schemes. Can anyone say different as I would like to know?

gar

Occupation
EE
080921-0825 EST

tonytonon:

An open delta actually produces a three phase output, and thus I would not use the word simulate.

In our area there many uses of open delta for commercial applications. These applications generally have a lot of single phase 120 and 240 loads with a lesser need for 3 phase.

Our shop has such a supply. One large center tapped single phase transformer, and a smaller transformer to provide 3 phase. The whole building is about 40,000 sq-ft. In two of the spaces there are 3 phase CNC machines. We have 5 CNC machines and a number of other 3 phase machines. All the air conditioning is 3 phase. If our demand went up Edsion would simply add another transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.