Open Neutral Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwbrown

I got a call from a landlord, & stopped by his rental to check out the loss of power to receptacles in a bedroom. I got a 2nd call from him before I got there & said I would call him when I found the problem. My tester showed an open neutral. I replaced a bad receptacle switch in the next room. 3rd call from the landlord. I said I replaced a switch, but not found the open neutral. I said I would call when I found it. I found the receptacle with the incoming cable & both the black ungrounded and white grounded conductors showed 120v. The problem was somewhere ahead of this room. Call #4 from the landlord, I tell him what I found. He said I did not know what I was doing, as he was an electrical engineer, & said both the black & white wires are always hot. I tried to explain in vain, then said I would put everything back in place & hung up. I ignored 2 more calls while restoring, then informed the tenant of the hazardous wiring in her baby's room. She said her landlord was working as a realtor. I will even request payment for jobs like this. What more should I do, warning notice in writing, inform Bldg. Dept.?

480sparky

Both the black & white showed 120volts.... To what? Ground?
Of course! If the neutral is open, you have 120volts of potential. Until you locate the open neutral, it will read 120volts.
I would have told this 'electrical engineer' to come right out and point out to me where the problem is.

As for the landlord working as a realtor, I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

What to do? You got called to do a job. You attempted to do the job, but were 'fired' before you could complete it. Document it and send the guy a bill.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Suggestion for future troubleshooting like this: Carry around the female end of a 3-wire extension cord that is plugged into a knwon-good receptacle, and use a solenoid-type tester and not a volt-meter to test for hot and grounded conductors against the reference hot, neutral, and ground in the cord.

Michael15956

LarryFine said:
Suggestion for future troubleshooting like this: Carry around the female end of a 3-wire extension cord that is plugged into a knwon-good receptacle, and use a solenoid-type tester and not a volt-meter to test for hot and grounded conductors against the reference hot, neutral, and ground in the cord.
Larry,

I don't understand, what's the difference?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Michael15956 said:
I don't understand, what's the difference?
A volt-meter has a high input impedance; it requires very little current, so it provides very little load on the wire. Because of this, it easily measures induced voltages caused by unenergized wires merely in close proximity to energized wires, aka phantom voltages.

A solenoid tester, on the other hand, uses enough current to bring the induced voltage down to zero, so it only registers real voltage. The idea is to use the tool for the job. If you need to know the voltage, especially of a circuit under load, use a volt-meter.

If you need to determine the presence of power, use a solenoid tester. Also, even a non-contact tester has its place for showing voltage to earth, not another conductor, such as when trouble-shooting a circuit with an unknown neutral or ground condition.

tallguy

LarryFine said:
A volt-meter has a high input impedance; it requires very little current, so it provides very little load on the wire. Because of this, it easily measures induced voltages caused by unenergized wires merely in close proximity to energized wires, aka phantom voltages..

Which is why my NCV is next to useless for identifying what is live and what is not. So many false positives...

mwbrown

Open Neutral Wiring

Thanks for the responses. Both the black ungrounded and white (should be grounded) source wires showed 120v. to ground. I would expect to find that the white, neutral wire had been pushed into the black side of an upstream receptacle body, thereby interupting (opening) the grounded path back to the service panel, and energizing the white wire downstream. I am concerned about safety and my liability. I think now I should invoice the landlord for my time and detail the hazardous condition in writing to cover my back.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tallguy said:
Which is why my NCV is next to useless for identifying what is live and what is not. So many false positives...
No arguement, but I'd rather mistake a non-energized conductor as being energized than the other way around. Just today, I had one indicate both circuits in a J-box as live when one was definitely de-energized. A wiggy showed the truth.

I mentioned them because they don't require a reference conductor against which to measure; they use the earth about us. If there is a potential (pun intended ;)) shock hazard, they'll react first. Better safe than sorry.

tallguy

LarryFine said:
No arguement, but I'd rather mistake a non-energized conductor as being energized than the other way around. Just today, I had one indicate both circuits in a J-box as live when one was definitely de-energized. A wiggy showed the truth.

Certainly, except that I generally only use the NCV in situations where the wiggy isn't an option...

For instance, I need to tap into a cable in an attic to add a such-and-such -- I've got cables coming up and then down to the receptacles (luminaires are easier of course). How can I be sure of what is what? This is particularly so when there are receptacles on different circuits sharing a common wall. Ideally I'd like to shut off the circuit in question, use the NCV to verify the proper cable, and then cut.

Never seems to work that way though as there is inevitably cross talk between the two circuits.

How do others handle this conundrum?

Tallguy,

In the attic, in the same curcumstances as what I think you are talking about and using a non-contact tester, After having tapped into the wrong circuit once and blowing out a forty dollar pair of klines another time, I changed methods. Now I kill the power to the circuit I want to tap into and use a wire/circuit tracer to identify the wire I am after.

My wire tracer only works with romex as far as I can tell. It is a less expensive model, but mabe the better ones will pick up the signal through MC and such.
It does however have adjustable sensitivity and I have not picked the wrong wire since I started using it (with romex)

tallguy

hurricaneflyer said:
Tallguy,

In the attic, in the same curcumstances as what I think you are talking about and using a non-contact tester, After having tapped into the wrong circuit once and blowing out a forty dollar pair of klines another time, I changed methods. Now I kill the power to the circuit I want to tap into and use a wire/circuit tracer to identify the wire I am after.

Nice... I will definitely adopt that approach!

Status
Not open for further replies.