Open office workstation with prewired furniture. Circuiting and load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor.cherkashi

I would like to hear how you guys do circuiting and load calculation for pre-wired furniture.

Maybe 220.14(H) (Fixed Multioutlet Assemblies) section could be used for pre-wired furniture, but I am not sure this is correct section to use.
Instead I take 500 Watts per workstation (one chair), 500 W cover 1 or 2 screens and PC. In this case, one 20A circuit is enough for three workstations.

Sometimes architectural plan shows 3 quads per workstation. You get 18 duplex for 3 workstations. If you take 180W per duplex, you get 3240W on one circuit. I don’t feel it is reasonable to take 180W per receptacle for pre-wired furniture system.
Do you think I am doing wrong calculation and violate any NEC section?

Re: any potential violation questions, if I'm not mistaken, most all commercial workstations, at least in the US can only have up to 13 outlets on one circuit max. I did a spreadsheet a few years back, where we used an average of 1700 + workstation single outlet currents, ill need to search my DB and try to give you an average per outlet that was actually running loads. Not connected. See if I can find and repost.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

victor.cherkashi

Re: any potential violation questions, if I'm not mistaken, most all commercial workstations, at least in the US can only have up to 13 outlets on one circuit max. I did a spreadsheet a few years back, where we used an average of 1700 + workstation single outlet currents, ill need to search my DB and try to give you an average per outlet that was actually running loads. Not connected. See if I can find and repost.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I found manufacturer furniture instructions regarding 13 outlet limit, see page #20 in linked pdf
https://www.steelcase.com/content/uploads/2018/02/pages.pdf

quote:"BYRNE 8-TRAC SYSTEMThe Byrne 8-Trac System is rated for 15 amps allowing the use of 4 circuits with 4 line conductors, 2 neutrals and2 grounds. Under NEC requirements, up to 13 duplex receptacles maybe used per circuit, with a total of 52 availablereceptacles if all circuits are used, per single power entry."

Status
Not open for further replies.