Operating Room Isolated Power vs GFCI panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I've encountered a hospital facility with OR's put in, in 2006 for which the panelboards serving each OR; one Critical branch, the other Normal, are neither Isolate Power type nor do they have GFCI breakers. I'd have expected these to be Isolated Power type from that era. Now-a-days, you can put in the GFCI's in lieu of the IPP's but there was a time, not that long ago when they had to be IPP's and I thought it went back a lot farther than 2006.

Bottom line, does anyone know what the letter of the law is where these are concerned in 2006?

Thanks,

Mike

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've encountered a hospital facility with OR's put in, in 2006 for which the panelboards serving each OR; one Critical branch, the other Normal, are neither Isolate Power type nor do they have GFCI breakers. I'd have expected these to be Isolated Power type from that era. Now-a-days, you can put in the GFCI's in lieu of the IPP's but there was a time, not that long ago when they had to be IPP's and I thought it went back a lot farther than 2006.

Bottom line, does anyone know what the letter of the law is where these are concerned in 2006?

Thanks,

Mike
Depends on each area. In NC for example, ISO panels are still required. Doesn't MA have some authority over hospitals that would have the history of their requirements?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.