Orange & Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

Go to HD & ask in the electrical dept for a CH classic 20A tandem or twin. Get that deer in the

headlight stare. He has no idea what a tandem breaker is. Why do they stick people with no

experience in these positions. He was stocking shelves in the electrical aisle.

It seems like that the stores relie on the customer to train their employees.

Thanks done venting

John120/240

Just spoiled with the local supply houses. Two different ones 4 miles apart. A phone call &

your order is at the counter when you arrive. Supply house is not open weekends.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why do they stick people with no

HD usually don't couple up a person's experience with a dept. they work in. This person was probably a plumber or a painter being used to stock shelves in another dept. Long and short of it is - look for what you want yourself, pick it up and put it in the cart, if it's not there they don't have it or never heard of it. If you have to ask any questions you don't belong in that store.

But don't feel sorry for yourself - feel sorry for the person who DOES have to ask questions and imagine what kind of advice they're getting.

templdl

Go to HD & ask in the electrical dept for a CH classic 20A tandem or twin. Get that deer in the

headlight stare. He has no idea what a tandem breaker is. Why do they stick people with no

Thanks done venting

Because people who are smart are too smart to take the position.

220/221

Thanks done venting

Come on man. Home Depot is a DIY store. You are the expert. You are the Y in DIY. you need to go find what you are looking for. If they don't have it, call a supply house.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
I sent one of my customers to HD to get a double duplex, raised surface cover. I even had her take one with her so she could match it. She came back with no covers, said the guy at HD said they don't make them. She even showed him the one that she had and he told "well, I don't know where you got that one, but they don't make them".http://forums.mikeholt.com/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif

Needless to say I went to the same HD and found boxes of them. I think HD makes it a point to put people in departments they know absolutely nothing about. I believe that if someone was hired and said they used to be an electrician, they would put them in the plumbing department.http://forums.mikeholt.com/images/smilies/slaphead.gif

kwired

Electron manager
the service at our HD has improved ever sinse the new Menards store opened
Menards is no better. I bought some carpet (well the wife did), and I asked the guy where to find the carpet adhesive - he gave me a strange look and said you sure you don't want double sided tape? I have never seen a professional carpet installer use double sided tape, not sure they even know what it is.

The nearest Menards does have contractor sales reps. The one that is assigned to the area where I live is a guy from my town. His job is taking orders and delivering items kind of like some of the supply houses do. But he represents all departments of the store for the most part, so he could be delivering patio doors, carpet, toilets, and breaker panels all in one trip. The guy that is in this position just started sometime the past year and I know him personally. His prior experiences, about 20 +- years as a sales person in an auto parts store and last 10 or so years as a service manager at an auto dealers repair shop (just the guy that schedules the repairs and lines up parts and contacts the customers, not a mechanic in any way). I think he managed a local Pizza Hut before he was in auto parts sales.

I like the guy, but when it comes to being an expert at something - auto parts is what he knows best and has experience with.

I sent one of my customers to HD to get a double duplex, raised surface cover. I even had her take one with her so she could match it. She came back with no covers, said the guy at HD said they don't make them. She even showed him the one that she had and he told "well, I don't know where you got that one, but they don't make them".http://forums.mikeholt.com/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif

Needless to say I went to the same HD and found boxes of them. I think HD makes it a point to put people in departments they know absolutely nothing about. I believe that if someone was hired and said they used to be an electrician, they would put them in the plumbing department.http://forums.mikeholt.com/images/smilies/slaphead.gif

HD is not a supply house, they are plain and simple a retail store. Any store that does not specialize in one particular area of items is not going to have employees that know much about the products they sell, with a few hit and miss exceptions. Their primary job is to be able to look at SKU numbers and match the number on the shelf tag to the number on the product and to restock those shelves when new product arrives. Same thing at Wal Mart, K mart, Sears, etc. There are some higher up employees that may have a little more knowledge, mostly because they have worked there for some time, not necessarily because they know electrical, or plumbing, etc. very well.

KVA

Why would a $10 employee know much about the electrical trade? Some are retired electricians but they are old timers and lack the knowledge of how things are done today and new code changes.

I find it funny and crazy how much confidence home owners put in these HD employees. I still can't get past the display of the incoming service and main panel they have.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Why would a $10 employee know much about the electrical trade? Some are retired electricians but they are old timers and lack the knowledge of how things are done today and new code changes.

they aren't even $10 an hour.

home depot sucks. i'll shop there if i have no choice.
i don't care if i pay more elsewhere.

and their prices on most stuff is higher than my
wholesale house. i don't care if it's lower, i buy
everything i can from my wholesale house. if
the little guys disappear, around here, you have
walters, and home depot.

walters charges me paying cash a third more than
most of their "preferred" accounts. screw that.

and home depot is incandescently stupid. they
glow with dullness.

rant over. for the moment.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Went into HD one night with the wife and I had a question about some plumbing parts, they said "let us get our plumbing expert for you". Guy walks around the corner and it was the salesman that sold us our new car a month earlier.:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.