Order of magnitude estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
A friend hit me up with a "Hey, you're an EE, you'd know..." query. And I don't...

His employer, a non-profit, is buying a building, and there's a question as to how much service they will need; i.e. is the existing adequate to their needs.

It's 4 stories, 12,000 ft^2, and will be offices. It's a nerdy organization, so everyone has a computer; but then doesn't everyone now? [A friend in Ohio built an ISP into a 1920-30's office building. There were two 15A outlet circuits per floor when they took over the space...]

It's the Bay Area, so HVAC will be far less than in Houston or Miami.

They might add an elevator; I'd think such would go on a separate metering per PG&E.

Where do I go to start researching an estimate?

bob

Check section 220 in the NEC. Look at table 220.12 for your lighting est and receptacle load. A/C load, get a contractor to estimate the requirements. Other load
computers, office equipment, kitchen load, out door lighting, electrical heating.
Voltage? Single phase or 3 phase? None of the existing electrical equipment will be usable. Just a suggestion.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Look around and you will find reasonable numbers based on sqft and type of use. But to really get a good idea, you need to sit down with the client and discuss how many people, what use, server room (which means A/C), and so forth.

Friends are friends, but they don't pay your rent. You might want to negotiate your fee (assuming you can legally do EE work) because this could take a little bit of effort, to do right.

Status
Not open for further replies.