Oregon Wye Calc. requirements ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarks971

I have found out by the Chief Electrical Inspector, he has a way of figuring 1 phase loads on a WYE system that I have never seen. He claims that it is phase shift in the WYE configuration that makes this neccessary. On a WYE 208/120 3 phase load calc, if the load is given to you in amp's you just put the amp load's on two of your 3 phases, but if the load is given in "va", say example: 5000va 1 phase 208 load you must do the following-- 5000va/(208*1.15)to get your amp's for each phase of the load. The 1.15 is a multiplier that he says gives the correct amp's per phase.
BECAUSE: 5000VA/208 =24 amp's per phase yet if you take that 24 phase amp's and multiply it by 120volts = 2880va, which is not 1/2 the original 5000va load. So 5000va/(208 * 1.15)= 20.9amp's per phase. This is the standard Oregon is using, though after 10 years of work in the trade I haven't heard, nor have I seen it printed in any publication. Any help on this would be appreciated, I just want to understand.

[ February 26, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: clarks971 ]

wanderer20001us

Re: Oregon Wye Calc. requirements ?????????

I hate to say it but if you put a 5000VA load(rated at 208V) accross 208V, it will pull ~24A. The two windings in the wye that the load is accross will see 24A. Draw out a wye diagram, put a single load accross the 208V output and you will see that this has to be true.

The problems comes with the geometry of the power transfer. The 2880VA you get by multiplying 120V * 24A across each winding are at a different phasor angle from the load. Due to the 120 degree angle in this configuration, the instantaneous power vector for each winding will partially subtract from each other with a net smaller power tranfer than the sum of the two. When resolved to the phasor angle of the load, the power transfer is 2500VA per winding.

The mulitplier they are using appears to be dervived from 120/104, or winding voltage divided by 1/2 the load voltage for a wye.

Based on my knowledge, I don't agree with what they are saying. Maybe I'm due for some more education. If that is the case, please, someone enlighten me.

Thanks

reynoldsk

I agree with wanderer. Regardless of the voltage whenever you are dealing with a single phase system. The line current will always be VA/V.

If you would like to determine the line current on a three phase system it would be VA/(3*Vl-g).

This next paragraph is a stretch but, I have an idea regarding the 1.15 multiplier. In the utility business if we have a three single phase transformers feeding a customer and one of them faults. In order to get the customer back online quickly we may remove the faulty transformer and supply them with three phase power using an open-delta connection. A setback of the open-delta connection is that the power delivery is drastically reduced, which means that we are not using our transformers to there full potential. Three single phase transformers deliver 3*(the nameplate KVA) whereas an open delta delivers 2*(the nameplate KVA)*(1/1.15), or 57% of a delta connection.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by clarks971:. . . he has a way of figuring 1 phase loads on a WYE system that I have never seen.
No one has. But that is partly because you have not described the situation clearly. You have to let me ask a few questions, before I can give you a clear answer.
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First, you speak of ?1 phase loads,? then talk about a ?208/120 3 phase load calc,? then talk about ?amp load's on two of your 3 phases.? Is the subject here a single phase load or a three phase load?

Secondly, you speak of a ?1 phase 208 load,? then mention ?multiply it by 120volts.? Is the subject here a single phase 120 volt load (i.e., single pole breaker) or a single phase 208 volt load (i.e., double pole breaker)?

Finally, you mention that a ?load is given in watts,? and then use as your example ?5000va 1 phase 208 load.? But ?watts? and ?VA? are not the same thing. Is the subject here an issue of power factor (i.e., the reason that there is difference between ?apparent power? in units of ?VA? and ?real power? in units of ?watts?)?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Since I am not sure I understand your situation, I cannot give an answer with confidence. However, I can make two observations.

My first observation is that his claim ?that it is phase shift in the WYE configuration that makes this necessary? is utter nonsense. But I will explain what I mean after you answer my three questions above.

My second observation is that three phase systems always have that strange factor of the square root of three hanging about. Sometimes, we have to divide that number by 2. When we do, we get an answer of about 0.866. Sometimes, instead of multiplying by this factor, we divide by it. But when you divide by 0.866, it is the same as multiplying by 1.15!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

In private message, the originator confirmed that the question relates to a single phase 208 volt load on a 120/208 V system. I will now address the original post point-by-point.
Originally posted by clarks971: He claims that it is phase shift in the WYE configuration that makes this necessary.
This is utter nonsense! A WYE configuration does not create a phase shift. What does create a 30 degree phase shift is having a DELTA primary and a WYE secondary (or for that matter, a WYE primary and a DELTA secondary). But once you are looking at the secondary, then the configuration of the primary is no longer relevant.
. . . if the load is given to you in amp's you just put the amp load's on two of your 3 phases, . . .
That is true.
but if the load is given in "va", say example: 5000va 1 phase 208 load you must do the following-- 5000va/(208*1.15)to get your amp's for each phase of the load. The 1.15 is a multiplier that he says gives the correct amp's per phase.
Please note that this ?multiplier? is in the bottom half of the equation. You are dividing by 1.15, and therefore getting a smaller answer for amps. The correct equation is a simple application of Ohm?s Law: Amps = VA / Volts = 5000VA / 208V = 24 amps. If you use their formula, you would design the system for a 21 amp load, instead of a 24 amp load, and wind up using a smaller conductor then the NEC would require. That is a step in an unsafe direction.
BECAUSE: . . . if you take that 24 phase amp's and multiply it by 120volts = 2880va, which is not 1/2 the original 5000va load.
Of course it isn?t! 120 is not half of 208. And since we are talking about a single phase, 208 volt load (i.e., from a two-pole breaker), the number 120 does not enter into the picture at all.
This is the standard Oregon is using . . . I just want to understand.
I have a difficult time accepting that this is a state standard. I do not understand the purpose of this calculation methodology. I think it is possible that you might have misunderstood some aspect of the Inspector?s discussion.

ronaldrc

I might be all wrong here in what I am about to say.

But you are talking about the 208 voltage P/E=I no matter single phase or three phase.

The phase angle you are talking about is what caused the 208 to be 208 to start with instead of 240 so the phase angle has already did its thing to the 240 to bring it voltage down to 208.

So P/E=I with either single or three phase and the (I) would be 24 amps.

Did that make any since? :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Sorry Ronald, but there are several things you said that are inaccurate. First of all the reason you have 208 and not 240 has nothing to do with phase angles. Rather, it relates to the number of turns in the primary winding, as compared to the number of turns in the secondary winding. Secondly, in any three-phase calculation, the factor of ?the square root of three? (about 1.732) is going to show up somewhere. You won?t see that factor in a single phase formula. So for single phase, I = S / E, and for three phase, I = S / (1.732E). Finally, I used the letter ?S? instead of ?P,? so as to distinguish two different types of power. Commonly, the letter ?P? is used for ?real power,? as measured in watts, and the letter ?S? is used for ?apparent power,? as measured in VA (or KVA). The difference between ?P? and ?S? is the ?power factor.?

ronaldrc

Sorry Charlie I didn't say 240 was there I was saying you have 208 instead of 240 and that is because you use the square root of the number 3 to derive this twist this too. :mad:

ronaldrc

Charlie in the three phase configuration if the phases did not overlap and interfere with each other each other would you have 240 or 208?

You knew what I meant. :)

clarks971

Believe me guys, I wish it was just a misunderstanding. I did find a very informative web site though, www.dataforth.com/catalog/pdf/an110.pdf

I realize that this multiplier is not the true method but unfortunately I'm in a position where I'm better off keeping my mouth shut right now.

But everything I have found does point in the direction of the inspector being in error.

ronaldrc

Clarks

I apologize for sounding so arrogant but trying to be polite, and being human I make a lot of mistakes so I start a lot of my post with the words that I might be in error but I was not in error with this one.Although my words where twisted around to sound so.

From here on I'll just stay in the background and not post.Like a lot of the others that use to post a lot seem to be doing now.

Ronald :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Ronald, I think most of us knew exactly what you were talking about. I for one miss your posts. We all get tongue tied (fingers in this case) at times, even Charlie b, so I wouldn't let it bother you to much. :D

Roger

[ February 28, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

ronaldrc

Thanks Roger

I just get so tried of how a few pick some post apart word per word and making them sound wrong rather they are or not.Sometimes I have to vent my feelings they probably don't mean nothing by it,thing is they don't have to do it.

Doesn't just happen to me they do this to every body.

Have a great weekend or I better say week in or someone will say something about that. :)

bennie

Esteemed Member

Ronald: I have been away for some time. I have a good excuse. My health is deteriorating. I get hammered often.

I feel good when I see your posts, I know there won't be any ego trip motivated responses. Your responses are your own and I respect them as such.

I sometimes appear too critical and I get on boring subject, but that's how these debates develop.

Hang in for me: Bennie

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by ronaldrc:In the three phase configuration if the phases did not overlap and interfere with each other each other would you have 240 or 208?
I think I know what you are trying to say, and I hope you continue to ask questions, give opinions, and offer views. But I think a little electrical theory would help here. The following discussion is about the ?ideal transformer,? one in which we can disregard any internal losses, and just focus on the transformation process.

First, a three-phase transformer is nothing more than a set of three single-phase transformers wired together. The three primary windings can be connected to each other in either a WYE or a Delta configuration. The three secondary windings can be connected to each other in either a WYE or a Delta configuration. That gives you four choices: (1) WYE-WYE, (2) WYE-Delta, (3) Delta-WYE, and (4) Delta-Delta.

Secondly, the voltage on any of the secondary windings depends on two things, and on NOTHING ELSE: (1) The voltage on the primary, and (2) The ?turns ratio,? defined as ?(the number of times the primary wire is wrapped around the primary core) DIVIDED BY (the number of times the secondary wire is wrapped around the secondary core).? Let us say that the primary voltage is 480 volts. Suppose the primary winding has 100 turns of wire, and the secondary has 50, a ratio of 2:1. Then the secondary voltage will be half the primary, or 240 volts. Now suppose the primary had 500 turns of wire and the secondary had 250. This is still a ratio of 2:1, so the secondary voltage will still be 240. Next let us suppose the primary had 400 turns and the secondary had 100. This is a ratio of 4:1, so the secondary voltage will be 120 volts (i.e., one quarter of 480). The bottom line here is that once the transformer is built, once the wires are wrapped a specified number of times around the core, then the turns ratio is permanently set, and forever thereafter the secondary voltage will be the same. If the transformer was built for 240 volts, then it will never give you 208. If it was built for 208, then it will never give you 240. No change in phase angles, no overlapping, no interference can cause the wires inside the transformer to unwind themselves, and therefore the secondary voltage is permanently fixed.

Finally, how do we build the commonly used 120/240V transformer (like the one that feeds my house) and the commonly used 120/208V transformer (like the one you might find in a large apartment building)?
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 120/240 across the street from my house is not a set of three transformers connected together. It is a single transformer. It has a turns ratio of about 50:1, so that the primary voltage of about 12,000 volts is transformed down to 240 volts. The secondary winding has a tap connected in the center. That point is grounded (connected to planet Earth) and is used as the neutral point. You can read 120 volts from either ?hot? to ?neutral, and 240 volts between the two ?hots.?

The most common 120/208 is a set of three single-phase transformers, each of which has a turns ratio of 4:1. The primary voltage of 480 volts is transformed down to 120 volts in each of the three transformers. The three secondaries are connected WYE. The common point is grounded (connected to planet Earth) and is used as the neutral point. Here, for the first time, is where phase angles come into play. When you read voltage across any secondary winding, you are reading from ?hot? to ?neutral,? and you will see 120 volts. But the three secondary voltages are actually (1) 120 volts at an angle of 0 degrees, (2) 120 volts at an angle of 120 degrees, and (3) 120 volts at an angle of 240 degrees. So when you read voltage from line to line (or ?hot? to ?hot?), you don?t get 120 + 120 = 240. In fact, you are not really adding voltages, you are subtracting (i.e., reading ?voltage difference?). Rather, you get 120 (angle of 0) minus 120 (angle of 120) = 208 (angle of -30). Regardless of whether you do the mathematics by drawing vectors on a page or by using trigonometry, you are going to get that ?square root of three? factor. That is, if you multiply 120 by the square root of three, the answer is 208.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
One final note. In an earlier post, I mentioned that there is a phase shift in the Delta-WYE transformer. You can see that when I subtracted the two 120 volt signals, the answer had a final angle of minus 30 degrees. That angle is the reason for the phase shift in the Delta-WYE. The phase shift has nothing to do with the 208, or the 120, or the 240. It comes from one side of the transformer being a Delta and the other side being a WYE.

ronaldrc

Hello Bennie and thanks, good to hear from you. Hope your health takes a turn for the best.

Charlie I studied that stuff back in 1969 and 1970. But I did take time to read your post.And I can tell you know what your talking about and you will get no criticism here.And it still does not turn me on,anymore than it did 35 years ago.You know the saying different strokes for different folks.

Please don't think because some of us don't use a lot math that we are dumber than rocks. I found out the first day on the job as an Electricians helper I really didn't need to know how to figure the power factor and a lot of math to do electrical work.Thats for the pros like you.

I do know enough to do my job and thats all that matters to me.

ronaldrc

Charlie I just went over this thread and I see where you might have got upset.

I did not read your post the one just before my and I said more or less the same thing you did.

That was not on purpose I have a habit of jumping in without reading all the prior post a habit hard to break.

As far as phase shift I agree and I should said the three phases overlap each other in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.