OSHA regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Is it against OSHA regulations to use stilts? Is it against OSHA regulations to have a radio on the jobsite? Feedback is appreciated.

JJ

JJWalecka

Ever watch a drywall hanger/finsher? Ever watch an insulator? Ever been on a job site?
Yes Yes Nope

I was told it is Illegal in the city of Boston to use stilts. I have never read anything regarding a yes or no answer to either question. Its not wise to base opinions on hear say.
I thought perhaps someone might have a quote.

JJ

zog

People tell me stuff is "illegeal per OSHA all the time", if it isnt one I know I bet them lunch everytime, but they have to provide the article.

I have bought a few lunches, every one was worth it for me to learn something new that wasnt just something pulled out of someones you know what, it is easy to say "OSHA says", prove it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We had an OSHA inspection last week. There was not one mention about the 25 radios playing on the job. Stilts? I would say that they're OK too seeing as they're used quite often.

jeremysterling

People tell me stuff is "illegeal per OSHA all the time", if it isnt one I know I bet them lunch everytime, but they have to provide the article.

I have bought a few lunches, every one was worth it for me to learn something new that wasnt just something pulled out of someones you know what, it is easy to say "OSHA says", prove it.

I heard it was against OSHA to eat lunch.:D

mdshunk

Stilts in poor repair can run afoul with OSHA (blown out springs, bad straps, etc). Heck, when you buy a new pair, they have a black and silver OSHA compliance sticker on them.

I think the only way you'd have an issue with radios is if they were playing so loudly that hearing protection would be required, and nobody had hearing protection.

Funny story, as a sidenote... I was at a metal stamping plant where a deaf guy worked. He was required to wear hearing protection. :confused:

480sparky

I heard it was against OSHA to eat lunch.:D

You're not too far off..... According to OSHA, it is against their policy to break for lunch.

Last inspection I had was started at 10AM. By 12:30, I told them I needed to go to lunch. They said no.... I had to stay until they were done. I told 'em 'Sorry, but DOL says I get a half-hour lunch.' They said they didn't care.

jeremysterling

You're not too far off..... According to OSHA, it is against their policy to break for lunch.

Last inspection I had was started at 10AM. By 12:30, I told them I needed to go to lunch. They said no.... I had to stay until they were done. I told 'em 'Sorry, but DOL says I get a half-hour lunch.' They said they didn't care.

Darn, zog you hear that, you lost the bet, but OSHA won't let me collect!

pfalcon

Radios on the job site is not an OSHA restriction. It is a royalty restriction. We had it published to us about 10 years ago. Basically, a radio that can be heard by more than a couple people is considered a public broadcast by the people that collect royalties. Therefore if you turn your radio up on a job site your company is supposed to send them a check.

All the abuse incidents they quoted to us at the time were companies that had played the radio on their PA systems. But the announcement warned that a personal radio played too loudly also qualified as copyright infringement.

wtucker

1. No, stilts are not illegal according to OSHA. Don't take my word for it, here's OSHA's:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=21718

However, where stilts are in use and there's a risk of falling more than 6 ft. (like down a stairwell or into an atrium). In that case, the guardrails have to be raised.

2. No, radios aren't illegal. Again, don't take my word for it, go to www.osha.gov and search for "radios."

But that doesn't bar management from banning them, usually for two reasons:

a. If they're played too loudly, workers might not hear emergency alarms or instructions.

b. If one worker wants to hear country and western and another wants to hear hip-hop (rap), there may very well be fistfights. Lots easier to ban the radios.

I'm amazed by how many people in this thread offered opinions without backing them up.

And, no, 100 guys listening to the radio don't have to pony up royalties. The radio station already did:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties3.htm

pfalcon

And, no, 100 guys listening to the radio don't have to pony up royalties. The radio station already did:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties3.htm

You should go here: http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html
See especially question 8 and 9 since they cover this particular issue.

"Rates for music used by corporations ("Music In Business") are based upon the number of employees. "

ASCAP will explain to you that the 100 guys listening is called a "public performance" that is not covered by the radio license. They will also provide you the forms for paying the royalty rate.

As a contemporary note maybe you will recall the heat the NFL went through last year for banning churches from setting up their big screen TV sets for Superbowl parties. Per your logic the TV station already paid the royalty rights. Per the lawyers it was a public performance that violated the NFL copyright.

BTW, I found the royalty price base for those 100 guys in your article but felt the ASCAP website was more authoritive and did a better job emphasizing the point. Per your article the company will be charged a flat rate based upon the song play rates of the radio station they choose and the size of the company. ASCAP has both forms and representatives to help make sure you pay them the correct amount.

wtucker

From ASCAP site:

"Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge."

pfalcon

From ASCAP site:

"Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge."

You forgot the rest:

"Your local ASCAP licensing manager can discuss your needs and advise how ASCAP can help you."

You can do this only if you meet THEIR conditions that THEY have set. It is THEIR right to permit free broadcast not YOUR privilege. The rest of the quote you failed to provide emphasizes that you really need to check with them for compliance. You should really read question 9 and its answer as I suggested earlier. It talks about how they charge these same businesses listed in your quote when they don't meet the requirements.

I'm not saying that you will be charged. I'm pointing to the ASCAP website that says they get to determine whether to charge you. Our company asked them and were told to pay or shut them off. Our group size was much smaller than 100 guys.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dislike radios on jobsites where we have to talk to each other, which is most of the time.

Who needs stilts? I'm 6'5" if it's too high for me we need a ladder! The boss calls me his walking step ladder, he's about 5'8". :)
I'm sometimes called Larry the Ladder even though I'm only 5' 15".

Status
Not open for further replies.