OT --- Cherynoble

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OT --- Cherynoble

I'm posting this in this forum because it seems to fit in the Hazardous Location discription.

Since there is a thread going on discussing Gauss I thought this would be interesting, it was posted by a member on ECN a while back, this was his commentary.

Guys
Check out this site - an absolutely chilling and captivating look at Cherynobyl reactor meltdown. Something I guess we all took for granted at the time - fascinating, devastating, unspeakably sad, but true - the content is so gripping. The site can be down at times but keep trying it's well worth the wait

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/
Go to the link above and click on the picture below when you get there.
ghost.jpg

It will take 20 minutes or so to go through it, but it is well worth the time.

Roger

[ November 22, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: OT --- Cherynoble

this site has been around a long time.

i tried to determine its authenticity but have never been convinced of it, nor have I come to the conclusion it is fake.

of course i did not try all that hard.

keep in mind that the many similar type sites on the interent are either complete hoaxes or based largely on false content.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

And what causes you to doubt it? There is no show boating or outrageous claims, there is nothing for sale.

The site has only been around since 03 and has been updated more than once since I first visited it.

Roger

[ November 23, 2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

c-h

The area isn't as dangerous as it was the first few years. You can definitely travel through it without risk. It isn't a good place to live, even if you were allowed to. For the time being, you aren't.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by petersonra:
i tried to determine its authenticity but have never been convinced of it, nor have I come to the conclusion it is fake.
What part do you have doubts on?

The Chernobyl accident?

Radiation was released?

To much radiation is harmful to humans?

That large numbers of people where displaced?

I have no idea what you doubt about that site. :confused:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Skepticism is healthy, IMO. I take it for what I can without feeling duped. It is interesting.

The author feels strongly about the event (as well she should); while it's compelling, the doubt-o-meter flickered a little bit in my mind too. Not over anything specific, just in general, I observed and felt the sense of tragic wonder, and just didn't commit anything to memory as gospel fact.

People with strong feelings sometimes slant or add to the facts, it's normal. So people with strong feelings should be regarded with suspicion IMO, as odd as that sounds. It's not that I believe her to be dishonest in any way, it's just a mental defense mechanism. :)

iwire

Staff member

George of course people slant what they write to fit their views, heck I do. :)

But I really am curious what triggered your doubt-O-meter in that link?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Only the author's personal relationship with what she sees and reports.

Journalists are paid to be unbiased and frequently are anyway. So a resident of the area is even more biased. She has much to say and show, it's one of the more prominent events of the 20th century, I can understand her need to share it with the world.

It's a great site, from what I saw it's very interesting.

I just don't see any fruit from picking on Peterson for voicing his compulsion to take it with a grain of salt.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
I just don't see any fruit from picking on Peterson for voicing his compulsion to take it with a grain of salt.
don't worry about bob he can defend himself :p

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bob Peterson, nice bunch of horny wanabees you hang out with. :roll:

Roger

[ November 26, 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.