Other codes that affect our trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently wired a warehouse that is used strictly for the storage of car batteries. It has one entry door and one overhead door. There are two levels and the bottom level is sheet-rocked (both ceiling and walls). The ceiling height is 9'. The owners chose to install quad duplex receptacles in the ceiling at various locations because they were not sure where they wanted to install light fixtures. The EI tells them that these receptacles had to be GFCI protected because they have a concrete floor. Not sure what Code he got that from. If anyone knows of this requirement please post it here. To make matters worse each receptacle location was a quad duplex receptacle (16 locations in total with # 12 solid - can't begin to tell you how much fun this was).

To make matters even worse the sheet-rockers (in their infinite wisdom) decided to install 5/8" sheet-rock on the walls and double 5/8" sheet-rock on the ceiling. I know this is done in a residence where there is living space above or attached to the garage but I never heard of this in a warehouse situation. If there's an obscure Code in existence that anyone knows of please post it here. AND, to make matters even worse than that. because I used a 1/2" raised mud ring the sheet-rockerts, with their Roto-Zip Rebels didn't cut square holes in the ceiling, they rounded the corners. So, I had to use my Fein Multi-master to cut away the sheet-rock and then use an Arlington plastic extension collar (which also had to be cut in order to fit properly) at each location.

If no one has any clue as to the Code references I asked for then this is just a rant about rocket scientist sheet-rockers :)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I just wonder if it might be classified as a hazardous location? I know if they were charging batteries, it would be. With storage, I don’t know if there would any hydrogen gases lurking around. What type of batteries? Sealed? Or common lead-acid?

norcal

A example of other code requirements that affect the electrical trade besides the NEC, would be smoke alarms, the requirement is not in the NEC, it's a building code requirement. Code requirements of model codes are intertwined, the type of occupancy of the building will dictate what other code requirement apply.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Nice you did the spark guards, no matter how many times you ask the sheetrock is sometimes different.
The worst is when they say its 2 layers of 5/8 and you come back and it was one.
Battery storage might be a 'Group H' occupancy.
If its a commercial Garage 210.8(B) for the GFCI's

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I recently wired a warehouse that is used strictly for the storage of car batteries. It has one entry door and one overhead door. There are two levels and the bottom level is sheet-rocked (both ceiling and walls). The ceiling height is 9'. The owners chose to install quad duplex receptacles in the ceiling at various locations because they were not sure where they wanted to install light fixtures. The EI tells them that these receptacles had to be GFCI protected because they have a concrete floor. Not sure what Code he got that from. If anyone knows of this requirement please post it here. To make matters worse each receptacle location was a quad duplex receptacle (16 locations in total with # 12 solid - can't begin to tell you how much fun this was).

To make matters even worse the sheet-rockers (in their infinite wisdom) decided to install 5/8" sheet-rock on the walls and double 5/8" sheet-rock on the ceiling. I know this is done in a residence where there is living space above or attached to the garage but I never heard of this in a warehouse situation. If there's an obscure Code in existence that anyone knows of please post it here. AND, to make matters even worse than that. because I used a 1/2" raised mud ring the sheet-rockerts, with their Roto-Zip Rebels didn't cut square holes in the ceiling, they rounded the corners. So, I had to use my Fein Multi-master to cut away the sheet-rock and then use an Arlington plastic extension collar (which also had to be cut in order to fit properly) at each location.

If no one has any clue as to the Code references I asked for then this is just a rant about rocket scientist sheet-rockers :)

Rest assured the sheet rockers didn’t just decide to hang 5/8.
Commercial buildings use 5/8 almost exclusively for fire ratings. One layer for one hour wall, two layers for two hour walls or ceiling.
I believe it’s chapter 7 of the building codes.
They also want the structure (beams, columns) protected from heat also so the building doesn’t collapse.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I just wonder if it might be classified as a hazardous location? I know if they were charging batteries, it would be. With storage, I don’t know if there would any hydrogen gases lurking around. What type of batteries? Sealed? Or common lead-acid?
I’m curious too if it’s rated an H, M, or S

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Std car batteries - no charging - just storage. This is a road service company.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, it's a garage?
Call it what you will. There will never be any vehicles driven into this building, strictly battery storage. If having an overhead door establishes this building as a garage irrespective of the intended use, then this is a moot point.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rest assured the sheet rockers didn’t just decide to hang 5/8.
Commercial buildings use 5/8 almost exclusively for fire ratings. One layer for one hour wall, two layers for two hour walls or ceiling.
I believe it’s chapter 7 of the building codes.
They also want the structure (beams, columns) protected from heat also so the building doesn’t collapse.
I understand that the rockers wouldn't just arbitrarily install a 2nd layer of sheet-rock. There must have been some underlying reason they double-rocked the ceiling. What irks me more than anything else is that they didn't stop before hanging one sheet and tell the building owner "hey, were installing 2 layers of rock - you'll need to change the size of the mud rings on the JB's". NO, instead they just went ahead and double rocked leaving the problem up to the electrician to figure out.

Every company has the misfortune of drafting their labor from the human race and I understand that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to hang sheet-rock, but you should, at the very least, have some consideration for the other trades your work may affect. (just venting) :)

retirede

I understand that the rockers wouldn't just arbitrarily install a 2nd layer of sheet-rock. There must have been some underlying reason they double-rocked the ceiling. What irks me more than anything else is that they didn't stop before hanging one sheet and tell the building owner "hey, were installing 2 layers of rock - you'll need to change the size of the mud rings on the JB's". NO, instead they just went ahead and double rocked leaving the problem up to the electrician to figure out.

Every company has the misfortune of drafting their labor from the human race and I understand that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to hang sheet-rock, but you should, at the very least, have some consideration for the other trades your work may affect. (just venting) :)

You either put up with this or else only bid jobs that have a complete set of construction drawings. That way, if the installed rock doesn’t match the prints, you have grounds to backcharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.