Others experience or help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

la2151

I am really interested in experiences & thoughts on tapping the main bussing using the tap rules on a older 600 amp 3ph 102/208 main switch board.? Zinsco. I have not done this type of install yet & am not going to. But a job I did bid on in a different way,the owner told me another EC is going to just tap the main bussing to get a new 200 amp 3 phase circuit to another part of the building.I do understand the code does allow this but am just asking about your thoughts? I understand he is going to install a 200 amp disconnect near the main panel. thanks.. Life is just a learning experience.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Pictures

Pictures

I'd love to see some pictures of this done. Heard of this before, never seen it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It can be done. The 1st possible obstacle is that you will be altering listed equipment and often the AHJ will require a manufacturers approval and/or instructions for that but that's not possible with Zinsco so I'd check with the AHJ.
Secondly, does this panel have a main ? If not, is your additional disconnect going to take you over the six disconnect rule ? and have you done a load calculation to assure you aren't overloading the service conductors or buss.
Lastly, if it's a Zinsco panel, based on it's age and their reputation, you would be doing your customer a service by replacing it entirely.

la2151

others experience.

others experience.

thanks for the thoughts & help so far.I had the same worries about not doing it this way. I am going to try to get some pics If the other EC does this? I did have my electrical engineer do a load calc on the panel & it is ok,but i dont know if other ec did a load calc on the building.The gc that i did submit a bid to do this project asked my why i didnt bid it to just tap the mains.Told him i didnt like the idea & had possible concerns about it being done that way. will see if he does the job or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.