Out Door Emergency Phone Communication cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a New Blue Light Emergency Tower 80Ft away from an existing building. I need some assistance with connecting this device thru Communication cable to the Building and How to interpite the NEC in this case.
The Tower is connected to the Building with 2 in PVC and the plan was to run a Cat6 Cable Undergroung in the Conduit to provide analog Dialtone from the communication equipment in the building.
Questions.
Is Cat 6 Code compliant for outdoor use?
Should the cable by code have Primary protection when it enters the Building?
and If so should the outdoor portion of the Cable be OSP rated and have a ground shield that can be Bonded to the primary protector and Blue Light Tower?

If Not.
How is this diffrent from a Local telephone company bringing a Communication Cable in off the Street?

Any Specific Refrences to the NEC would be Helpful.
Thanks
Keith

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
CAT6 describes a data cable, not whether it is suitable for any type of environment or installation.
The NEC does not address what you want to do. Since the conduit is underground it must be considered a wet location so I would suggest that the cable you use be suitable for direct burial. Contact Power and Tel (the old Clifford of Vermont) and ask them to cut you whatever length you need of buried service wire. It's 6 pair, you'll only need one pair. This is the wire the phone companies use in the service trench from the street to the house. They also have protectors that you would use for this. You only need one where the cable enters the building on the pair you use.

How is this diffrent from a Local telephone company bringing a Communication Cable in off the Street?

It doesn't originate from the utilities on the street that are subject to power crosses. Still, a protector at the building entrance is prudent to protect against lightning.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.