Outdoor Fluorsecent Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions on strip fluorescent lighting for an unheated horse barn. Installation will be in N.E. Ohio with temperature as low as -5 degrees.

I'm entertaining on using T8 or T5/HO Lamps. I know the electronic ballast will start at 0 degrees but I'm concerned with diminished lumens in the cold environment and physical damage by the horses. Some of the horse stall have low ceilings.

I would like any suggestions, TIA.

mdshunk

I have quite successfully used T8's in outdoor unheated barns with no problems, but I absolutely would not use one in the actual horse stall proper. They'll get busted up, without a doubt. I use haymow lights in horse stalls:

538248.gif

C3PO

mdshunk said:
I have quite successfully used T8's in outdoor unheated barns with no problems, but I absolutely would not use one in the actual horse stall proper. They'll get busted up, without a doubt. I use haymow lights in horse stalls:

538248.gif

That is what I use as well unless the ceiling is very high.

jdsmith

I have some 48" T8 HO fixtures installed at a scout camp and I've started them down to 5-10 degrees or so. There's still adequate light output, but if I were using them regularly I might think about VHO instead.

I agree with Marc that you definitely need to consider the physical damage aspect. I don't know of any other style of fixtures that have as good of guarding as the picture posted above. Does anybody know if they make CFL's in an HO version?

jdsmith said:
I don't know of any other style of fixtures that have as good of guarding as the picture posted above. Does anybody know if they make CFL's in an HO version?

I know we have used these in some areas where impact was a concern, not sure if it can hold up to the horses or not..
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/F3-11thru16.pdf Memory is that the cold weather unit is good to -20F, but I could not find it on the data sheet.

Buck Parrish

I use the ones that Marc and cp30 use. Put a 100 watt halogen if you need a lot of light, etc... + they will last forever. No ballast to change or ends to break.
At about $25.00 they are a heck of a lot cheaper then the flourescents with dust / moisture covers.
In the high parts you can put a stem on them.

I get the flat black paint made for charcoal grills. With a stem on the light and painted flat black. The lights give the barn a rustic look. As if a barn needs any help.
I've had customers real pleased.

mdshunk

pbeasley said:
I know we have used these in some areas where impact was a concern, not sure if it can hold up to the horses or not..
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/F3-11thru16.pdf
I've put those up in milking parlors already. They seemed to hold up okay, but a few have been broken over the years. Sometimes a bull will line up and come in with the cows to milk. When the bull tries to hop up on a cow to mate inside the milking parlor, the fixture, regardless of the type, normally gets smashed out.

Buck Parrish

Yes, I understand them bulls can get some height.

I hope the OP knows every thing has to be dust proof.

A lady called me to a 62 stall horse barn . It had the worst wiring I have ever seen. Romex and open spices every where, Live panels with out covers.
While I was telling her how much of a fire hazard it was.
One of her other barns caught on fire.
I drected traffic for the fire trucks the next 2 hours.
She still wouldn't have the barn re-wired. I told her I wouldn't do any thing in their with those wiring conditions. The barn even had an apartment up high in the middle. It had electric heat and wall AC'S . It was a real mess.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
When the bull tries to hop up on a cow to mate inside the milking parlor, the fixture, regardless of the type, normally gets smashed out.

I have that problem sometimes. :D

Michael15956

Thank all for the replies.

There are non-protected incandescents existing now at the barn, and the owner agreed to have them removed. He stated that he would want lots of lighting outside of the stalls but agreed with the haymow fixtures inside the low ceiling stalls.

There are haymow fixtures installed at a second barn outside the stalls and the owner advised that there is insufficient light. He has show horse and needs lots of lighting to wash and prep the horses outside of the stalls. Because of this info. I was thinking that a protected fluorescent fixture with daylight lamps might be one install (outside of the stalls) that would help with the demand for lot of lighting and get as close as possible for outside daylight show conditions.

Already advised the owner reference to dust proof fixtures, but thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.