outdoor junction box in stucco

Greetings,

Ugghh, I just completed my first main panel replacement - it's outdoors, on the side of a house, and required splicing to extend conductors to the new main panel that was placed 3' from the original location ...

inspector came out and didn't like that I spliced conductors inside of wall (conductors required to be in raceway and splices need to be accessible) and I thought he suggested that I chip out the stucco (to access some of the conductors that will then enter the box from the rear), place a 12x12" box and splice inside of the box and then run Romex in the wall and into MSP ...

so I installed 3 outdoor NEMA 3R metal surface mount junction boxes, kind of semi-flushed them (chipped away stucco, brought conductors in from the back, and mounted boxes through the back of the box straight to the studs), made all splices inside, and ran the romex to the MSP. 3 boxes in 3 different locations with a total of 20 circuits..

Obviously, I mis-understood his instructions - Inspector came back out and left a note "surface mount type cannot be flanged properly to insure no water intrusion into structure"

Searching for outdoor junction boxes w/flange and coming up empty .. any ideas on what I was supposed to do in the first place, and what I can do about it now?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ugghh, I just completed my first main panel replacement - it's outdoors, on the side of a house, and required splicing to extend conductors to the new main panel that was placed 3' from the original location ...
Hopefully, you left the original enclosure to use as a J-box.

inspector came out and didn't like that I spliced conductors inside of wall (conductors required to be in raceway and splices need to be accessible)
Absolutely correct. It's never okay to join or splice wires outside of a proper box.

.. any ideas on what I was supposed to do in the first place, and what I can do about it now?
Yeah, leave the original enclosure to use as a J-box.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
At this point it's probably a good idea to contact a stucco contractor and work together on a solution. It will probably involve some repair.