Outdoor kitchen wiring

Dwired

Occupation
Retired Master Electrician/Contractor
Does the wiring in an outdoor kitchen cabinet that contains propane for appliances require explosionproof wiring within that cabinet.
I have not seen any so far in residential.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Does the wiring in an outdoor kitchen cabinet that contains propane for appliances require explosionproof wiring within that cabinet.
I'd make sure that the cabinet is VERY well ventilated. Having a propane detector in the cabinet would be a good idea!

Dwired

Occupation
Retired Master Electrician/Contractor
I was told that equipment is considered portable equipment so explosion proof is not required. But wiring inside the cabinet even though it's enclosed, still has to be rated for damp location.
Is everyone agree with that?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
But wiring inside the cabinet even though it's enclosed, still has to be rated for damp location.
Is everyone agree with that?
It depends. Is the wiring installed in an area that is not protected from the elements?
Think about wiring installed in an exterior wall of a building.

Ron

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'd make sure that the cabinet is VERY well ventilated. Having a propane detector in the cabinet would be a good idea!
Just as a curiosity, which Section 500.7(K) application [500.7(K)(1)(e)] would you use; especially since it's ... restricted [to] industrial establishments."

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
Good idea
Don't know if I ever seen a propane detector but I'll check various plug in detectors.

Just bought one. Gas was leaking in my office from a newly installed gas meter outside my window. The gas company replaced a fitting and the smell went away.

I don't trust big companies so I bought a gas detector. If I start getting alerts I will encourage them to move the meter to a safer location.

I bought a First Alert. It detects carbon monoxide, propane and natural gas. It got good reviews. It is a plug-in model. The reviews also said it eats batteries so we shall see.

By the way, you open the cover to acces the battery compartment with the tab on the bottom right. I accidentially tried to open it from the hinges on the top.

firstalert2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
is the storage tank inside the cabinet or just piping?

Tank or no tank, how about a gas regulator? Most will vent off some gas if a certain pressure is exceeded.

Suggest you maybe even look into what gas codes have to say about your installation, if gas codes are followed chances are you won't really have a NEC hazardous location to be concerned about as certain things won't be allowed or at very least ventilation will be required lessening the hazardous location possibilities.