Outdoor stage outlet problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical contractor
Need some help!! We recently wired a outdoor stage for music venues. Pretty simple installation with 6 - 20A 120v circuits. We GFCI protected all outlets. Well now they have had a few concerts and we have a problem with the GFCI’s randomly tripping. I believe this isnt due to faulty equipment but to current leakage from the band’s equipment. Reading through the code book 520.9 states “ A branch circuit of any size supplying one or more receptacles shall be permitted to supply stage set lighting. The voltage rating of the receptacles shall be not less than the circuit voltage. Receptacle ampere ratings and branch circuit conductor ampacity shall not be less that the branch circuit overcurrent device ampere rating. Table 210.21(B)(2) and 210.23 shall not apply. The application of 210.8(B)(4) shall not be required.” With this code would it be permissible to remove the GFCI protection being that these are dedicated for stage equipment and not accessible by the public. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The rule you mentioned is for set lighting. You are asking if GFCI receptacles can be removed. You should be asking the AHJ, not us.

Last edited:
Occupation
Electrical contractor
The rule im asking about, the way i read it is 520.9 Branch circuits it simply states it shall be permitted for stage lighting. Unless im missing something. Also this is outside of the city so no AHJ which is why im reaching out. Thank you.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see a way of forgoing the GFI protection for outdoor receptacles at such an event.

If the stage guys use those receptacles then they always run the chances of randomly tripping.

With that being said, a larger feeder disconnect could be installed to feed stage equipment and you could stop your responsibility at that point.

JAP>

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I agree its an equipment problem, not the GFCI. Orginal GFCIs from 30 years ago used to nusiance trip, those issues are gone. I have heard that SPDs can cause GFCIs to trip.
What you dont know is how much leakage current above the GFCI trip of 6 ma there is. The GFCI is doing its job.
I had a complaint os a small sample pump tripping a GFCI, turned out it had a dead short to ground.
My comment about asking the AHJ is to shift the liability off you.
Also, is it just one amp that is tripping the GFCI?

Unless the outlets are actually being used for stage lighting (they're not), then the GFCIs are still required. Also note that may traveling sound setups do not have GFCIs in their own "stage power" distro systems, but those also tend to have some supervision when in use.

Still comes down to old or bad band equipment; many instrument amps had a two-wire cord and a capacitor from one side of the line to the amp's chassis (see http://www.bustedgear.com/faq_Amp_shocks.htm or look up "guitar amp polarity switch").

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I agree with y’all im gonna leave the GFCI’s in place. I do believe it’s certain bands with older equipment causing the nuisance trips. On the same token i don’t want to be liable for some one getting injured and not having a GFCI protecting them. Thank you for the input on 520.9 the more i read it I believe it’s referring to stage lighting.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You might also want to read this thread going on in the General forum about basically the same thing.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.