Outer Sheath on NM Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

I know this is maybe being nit picky, but some of the details involved here come down to interpretation of certain key words so, do you install a portable generator or do you just connect to it?
I suppose that in order to ?connect? to it something must be installed to connect to.

That is odd because most portable generators that I have seen have the neutral "floating" which implies installation as a non-SDS. ~confused~
Same here.
I thought the discussion was the installation instructions that are included in the listing and labeling of equipment. If the generator is listed with the receptacle mounted on the frame then it will not have a floating neutral.

brett711

why would you ask this question about outer jacket of nm sheathed cable... unless its rated for outdoors or subject to the weather, straight up the answer is no, but if you are an electrician read the code. im on this forum to try to better my understandings of the electrical industry, but take the time to read the code, use keyword index.. im a card holder and im studying for my masters but really..

kwired

Electron manager
I suppose that in order to ?connect? to it something must be installed to connect to.

Yes you install the transfer switch, power inlet, etc. but you roll the portable close to that equipment and connect to it when you are using it, you don't "install" the generator if it is portable.:p

If the generator is listed with the receptacle mounted on the frame then it will not have a floating neutral.

Sorry, I missed one here, I sure hope the neutral is not "floating", it is the equipment ground terminal of the generator receptacle as well as the generator frame that can be found "floating" in many cases. The neutral is also not bonded to anything except the mid point of the windings in those instances.

jwelectric

At any rate this portable generator to be installed or connected to a premises wiring system according to the instructions included with the listing it must be installed as a SDS, see FTCN for the installation instructions. These instructions are not in the manual that comes with the generator. Many manuals do not include the instructions that are included with the listing of the product.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
why would you ask this question about outer jacket of nm sheathed cable... unless its rated for outdoors or subject to the weather, straight up the answer is no, but if you are an electrician read the code. im on this forum to try to better my understandings of the electrical industry, but take the time to read the code, use keyword index.. im a card holder and im studying for my masters but really..

Did you read my OP?

I didn't ask if it was ok to install the NM. Just a simple question about the sheathing.

I know very well NM is not allowed in wet locations and inside conduit on the outside is considered a wet location. I just saw this while doing an install.

Without saying anything else, I don't appreciate your condescending comments!

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jwelectric

I thought the discussion was the installation instructions that are included in the listing and labeling of equipment.

I thought it was about the sheath on NM.

The thread topic is NM cable sheath, the off topic tangent we have is the installation instructions.

You can call me captain obvious if you want to :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The tubs I've done have called for a full size ground in the installation instructions, so NM doesn't fly anyway.

I stopped reading the thread here. I agree with you. I was buying THHN/THWN for my aunt's hot tub and the guy at Home Depot was saying, "Oh, well, I use 6-3 for hot tubs, why are you buying #8 for the ground?"

And I said, "Because manufacturers instructions included with the tub."

He looked mystified.

mivey

The thread topic is NM cable sheath, the off topic tangent we have is the installation instructions.

You can call me captain obvious if you want to :)
That was an observation followed by a post with a little humor added.

Status
Not open for further replies.