outlet above drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

BS! You can plug transformers into them. NO flexible cords such as a cord from a tv, or a projector.

~Matt

True that

You can also plug a drop light in to see where you dropped the screws :D

...but you have to read the article to get it ;)

inspector163

Art 334 allows the NM to be used above drop ceilings in dwellings so it could be the wiring method for a recpt above a drop ceiling in a dwelling. 400.8 would prevent cords from passing through the drop ceiling to plug in the recpt. The recpt would be legal for equipment above the drop ceiling or as a recept for service work in the ceiling.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Art 334 allows the NM to be used above drop ceilings in dwellings so it could be the wiring method for a recpt above a drop ceiling in a dwelling. 400.8 would prevent cords from passing through the drop ceiling to plug in the recpt. The recpt would be legal for equipment above the drop ceiling or as a recept for service work in the ceiling.

where in the code does it state that equipment located above a drop ceiling can be cord connected when equipped with an attachment plug

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

where in the code does it state that equipment located above a drop ceiling can be cord connected when equipped with an attachment plug

Nowhere.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Temporary equipment, but not equipment like cord and plug connected condensate pumps, video projectors etc.
Like this?:

Proj1lg.jpg

jusme123

Occupation
JW
what about power supply cabinates (120v input 24v output) that are not temporary, dont require any interchange, and do not require removal for maintenance or repair, can these be cord and plug connected? I say no, others say yes

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
what about power supply cabinates (120v input 24v output) that are not temporary, dont require any interchange, and do not require removal for maintenance or repair, can these be cord and plug connected? I say no, others say yes
I say no if there's any line-voltage cord. (Don't look at my projector.)

BryanB1017

What about wireless access points? My understanding was that you just cant have any type of cord coming out of the drop ceiling. But if everything contained with what you have plugged in stays in the ceiling your good.

Keri_WW

Then how do you power a ceiling mounted projector if you can't have a receptacle above the acoustical ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.