Outlet at bathroom sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know how the majority interprets the code requirements for outlet(s) at bathroom sinks (basins). From memory, I believe it is 210-52(d) which says there must be one outlet within 36" of each basin. About 3/4 of the electricians say each basin (sink) has to have it's own outlet (i.e., 3 basins, 3 outlets). The municipality chief electrical inspector says that the code reads very clearly that you can use one duplex outlet for a vanity with 2 sinks as long as it's within 36" of each sink (mounted in the center between the sinks). We are not under the muni's requirements but I tend to agree with the muni electrical inspector. Would like some feedback on this.

bphgravity

Re: Outlet at bathroom sinks

I agree with the inspector. In my opinion, Section 210.52(D) permits one receptacle to qualify for as many sinks that are located within three feet.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

You and the inspector are correct. One receptacle outlet is all that is required as long as it is within 36" of each basin. This however is the minimum and many homeowners would not be satisfied with only one. BTW it doesn't even have to be a duplex. ;)

physis

I don't know how clear it is. This has come up before because there can be a little confusion.

Without reading it again I think it comes down to there is not a requirement for a receptacle per basin only that one be within three feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.