outlet on light poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have 6 street light poles that are all feed overhead right from POCOS transformers. The city would like to put outlets up high on poles for christmas decorations. What would be legal way to do this. W/P box and cover with service head so POCO could tie them in? But what would you use for overcurrent protection? I can not believe the lights are fused at 20 amps? Do I need to drop down to a small service panel at each pole and then go back up to the outlet? Any help would be appreciated. I am only supplying information. I am told all work and material will be donated. Thank you.

pete m.

See if the POCO will claim ownership of the receptacles. If they won't the NEC requirements will be many... For starters a service and OCP at each pole location.

Pete

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
But what would you use for overcurrent protection? I can not believe the lights are fused at 20 amps?
Lights are never fused. It is the wires serving the lights that are being protected by the fuses or breakers. And yes, those wires can be protected at 20 amps.

arnettda

See if the POCO will claim ownership of the receptacles. If they won't the NEC requirements will be many... For starters a service and OCP at each pole location.

Pete

Would you still not need some type of OCPD on the wires feeding the recepticle?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If the POCO takes ownership it will be up to them and their standards to determine that. The NEC would not be involved.

Pete

I'm not sure I agree with that. I know the NEC isn't intended to cover most utility installations. But by the time you get to a 20A receptacle that someone can plug into , I think the NEC takes effect.

At any rate, I just can't believe it would be safe to have a 20A receptacle that isn't protected at 20A.

pete m.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I know the NEC isn't intended to cover most utility installations. But by the time you get to a 20A receptacle that someone can plug into , I think the NEC takes effect.

At any rate, I just can't believe it would be safe to have a 20A receptacle that isn't protected at 20A.

I know where you are coming from and I don't like the idea myself but that doesn't change the facts. If the POCO owns it they are not bound, at least here in Ohio that I am aware of, by the rules of the NEC.

Where I am there is a lighting contractor that operates just as the public electric utility does (meaning that they do not pull permits, get inspections or follow the NEC) but they in fact are not a utility regulated by the public utilities commission of Ohio. They are a subsidiary of the public utilities parent company. So, in fact, they are no more than a private contractor but no jurisdiction seems to want to take them to task on that fact.

Pete

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Lights are never fused. It is the wires serving the lights that are being protected by the fuses or breakers. And yes, those wires can be protected at 20 amps.

The last few sets of Xmas lights we got had small fuses in the plug.

It seems to me there is a gizmo out there made just for this kind of problem. Has a box with a transformer and disconnect in it that has an outlet on the bottom side. I seem to recall the outlet is inset into the box, possibly so no in use cover is required.

How is this any different than the boxes the cable company uses that are on poles?

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Did it look anything like this?
IMG_20110324_142802.jpg

Riograndeelectric

not considering how the Receptacle is wired fr over current protection.

would the install of A bell box with close nipple into the light pole and screwed to light pole be NEC compliant if other than utility company owned?

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.