Outlet within the Shower Zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimzam65

Occupation
Handyman
While listening to your discussion of Tamper Resistant Outlets (Jan 13, 2020) I have an Installation that may conflict with this. There is a shower with a rim only 5 inches off the floor and there is a Toilet installed within 18 inches of the shower with an outlet receptacle under the toilet for a bidet that uses electric heat. Is this a violation?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Under the 2017 and older codes, as long as the receptacle is not above the shower area itself, there is not code violation. That changes with the 2020 code.
406.9(C) (2017)
(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
406.9(C) (2020)
(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top o f the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. The identified zone is all-encompassing and shall include the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

Exception: In bathrooms with less than the required zone the receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be installed opposite the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold on the farthest wall within the room.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
While listening to your discussion of Tamper Resistant Outlets (Jan 13, 2020) I have an Installation that may conflict with this. There is a shower with a rim only 5 inches off the floor and there is a Toilet installed within 18 inches of the shower with an outlet receptacle under the toilet for a bidet that uses electric heat. Is this a violation?
The 2020 has added the 3' from the tub minimum for no apparent reason other than someone thinks that it's a good idea. Yes in small bathrooms a receptacle for a toilet will be an issue because the exception won't help you. So in those cases the sink will need to be next to the shower and the toilet near the door to get the 3' dimension. IMO this is one of the worst 2020 code changes.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A receptacle 3' away from the shower stall or on the opposite wall, with a long cord running to the toilet, possibly through cabinets, would be compliant, but IMHO less safe. Maybe the code should instead specify an in-use cover for such receptacles?
If the toilet or toilet accessory comes with a factory-installed short cord, the problem is more severe.

Last edited:

mwm1752

Lower the receptacle below the shower rim in the baseboard - Per NEC 2020 you could put it next to the shower rim as long as it is below the top.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Lower the receptacle below the shower rim in the baseboard - Per NEC 2020 you could put it next to the shower rim as long as it is below the top.
Great point, same would apply to a tub. I wonder if this was intentional or an oversight. :unsure:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The intent may seem clear based on the reference to the space above shower or tub, but the added language specifies a vertical distance from the rim and does not state that it applies only above the rim.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The intent may seem clear based on the reference to the space above shower or tub, but the added language specifies a vertical distance from the rim and does not state that it applies only above the rim.
If I remember correctly this new requirement was designed the be similar to the requirement for lighting fixtures above a shower or tub, those are measured from the top edge upwards so I would assume that receptacle requirement is the same. The area below the top edge does not apply.

zimzam65

Occupation
Handyman
I did realize that this is a code change for 2020 but just wanted to bring the attention to the fact that new fixtures utilize power and may violate the new code. Thanks for the replies.

mwm1752

I respectfully disagree the zone wording is he same as 410.10(D)
NEC 2020 Receptacles shall not be installed within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top o f the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold.
NEC2017

Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
If it was inclusive to lower the rim Proper language would have included "from floor to"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.