outlets in daycare

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauld

Are there any special requirements for receptacle outlets in a daycare. Planning to use gfci breakers in panel for added safety and safety inserts for unused outlets. Any other concerns I should be aware of?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Are there any special requirements for receptacle outlets in a daycare. Planning to use gfci breakers in panel for added safety and safety inserts for unused outlets. Any other concerns I should be aware of?

406.14 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Child Care Facilities.
In all child care facilities, all nonlocking-type,
125-volt, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles shall be listed
tamper-resistant receptacles.

WIMaster

I would line-load the outlets rather than using GFCI breakers for 2 reasons 1 co$t, 2 it will be easier for the employees to reset.

+1 on the TR also.

kwired

Electron manager
406.14 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Child Care Facilities.
In all child care facilities, all nonlocking-type,
125-volt, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles shall be listed
tamper-resistant receptacles.

This appears to be new to the 2011 NEC. I think they possibly need to go another step and determine what are child care areas and not necessarily include the entire facility, JMO. How about early childhood schools? While we are at it how old of a child is included in the intent of this section? A high school senior is still somebody's child, but is not the same as a 2 or 3 year old (usually:))

My personal opinion on outlets in an intended play area for children under 4 or even up to 6 is why does there need to be any receptacles at all in this area? Other areas may depend on the need for electrical equipment in the area.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
This appears to be new to the 2011 NEC. I think they possibly need to go another step and determine what are child care areas and not necessarily include the entire facility, JMO. How about early childhood schools? While we are at it how old of a child is included in the intent of this section? A high school senior is still somebody's child, but is not the same as a 2 or 3 year old (usually:))

My personal opinion on outlets in an intended play area for children under 4 or even up to 6 is why does there need to be any receptacles at all in this area? Other areas may depend on the need for electrical equipment in the area.

Good suggestions.

406.2 Definition.
Child Care Facility. A building or structure, or portion
thereof, for educational, supervisory, or personal care services
for more than four children 7 years old or less.

kwired

Electron manager
Good suggestions.

406.2 Definition.

Looks like they did address some of my concerns, thanks for finding that.

I'm not too familiar with 2011 changes. 2011 is what is the standard here now, but most projects I have been working on had permit filed when 2008 was still in effect so I have mostly still been using 2008.

iwire

Staff member
My personal opinion on outlets in an intended play area for children under 4 or even up to 6 is why does there need to be any receptacles at all in this area?

To power electrical devices that are very prevalent in today's society.

Say ...... TVs, vacuums, computers. Bottom line it is a design decision not one for the NEC.

In 2002 I did a large stand alone daycare center and there were many receptacle locations and often they had tel data outlets right beside them.

At that time the NEC did not require tamper resistant receptacles in that location but the EE did in the specs.

The job also had may locations that did not require GFCI protection but we provided it at no extra charge.

kwired

Electron manager
406.2 Definition.

Children 7 years old are typically 2nd grade. So a school that has 2nd grade and below requires TR receptacles in entire facility. Around these parts with small school districts as far as population wise that is the entire pre K - 12 school that will be affected This includes many areas where these small children have no business being - at least unsupervised. Such as the kitchen, labs, mechanical rooms, offices, shop, athletic training rooms, locker rooms.

TR receptacles in areas designated for children 7 and under is understandable, the other areas - if these children are present is usually only temporary and they usually have some supervision, otherwise they can not even go on a field trip if they don't make sure there are TR receptacles where they are going:happyno:

kwired

Electron manager
You quoted someone quoting the definition that states "or portion thereof", what part of that confuses you? :huh:

The part when some bonehead inspector sometime will interpret his own way and will require TR receptacles everywhere because the young children may be present at some time.

A receptacle on the ceiling for media equipment or maybe on the wall, 7 feet off the floor would require TR as it is written. Now tell me the kids are likely to get to this receptacle and stick something that doesn't belong into it.

iwire

Staff member
The part when some bonehead inspector sometime will interpret his own way and will require TR receptacles everywhere because the young children may be present at some time.

A receptacle on the ceiling for media equipment or maybe on the wall, 7 feet off the floor would require TR as it is written. Now tell me the kids are likely to get to this receptacle and stick something that doesn't belong into it.

You are the one being a bonehead, :lol: you are complaining about possibilities that have yet to come about.

If we were building a school from the ground up that some areas required TR and some did not I would be willing to bet we would use all TRs.

steve066

Our State Dept. of Public Health has required tamperproof receptacles for daycare facilities for some time now. I'll bet many other states have similar requirements.

However, in my State, they only required TP for accessible receptacles in child care rooms.

I wasn't aware of the new 2011 NEC requirement, and I'm not sure i understand it.

It does seem like overkill to require every receptacle in a daycare to be TP.

Many locations are staff only - you wouldn't have an unsupervised child in the kitchen near the oven or stove, but it sounds like the 2011 NEC requires those receptacles to be TP.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Our State Dept. of Public Health has required tamperproof receptacles for daycare facilities for some time now. I'll bet many other states have similar requirements.

However, in my State, they only required TP for accessible receptacles in child care rooms.

I wasn't aware of the new 2011 NEC requirement, and I'm not sure i understand it.

It does seem like overkill to require every receptacle in a daycare to be TP.

Many locations are staff only - you wouldn't have an unsupervised child in the kitchen near the oven or stove, but it sounds like the 2011 NEC requires those receptacles to be TP.

Why such a problem with the phrase "portion thereof"?

Status
Not open for further replies.