Outlets on islands

tevans1

New User
Occupation
Builder
I know in the 2023 NEC you can't put outlets on the ends of islands. I have a builder that builds a 2x6 wall that the island cabinets abuts to and comes up under the counter top. He is wanting an outlet to be shown in this wall. My interpretation of the code prohibits this also even if the outlet is say a foot above the floor. Am I right or would this be permitted?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Prior code cycles stated that the receptacle couldn't be more than 12" down from the top of the island because kitchen appliance cords are generally 24" long. If it's mounted at 12" above the floor I don't see how it could serving the countertop and they would not be prohibited.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Prior code cycles stated that the receptacle couldn't be more than 12" down from the top of the island because kitchen appliance cords are generally 24" long. If it's mounted at 12" above the floor I don't see how it could serving the countertop and there would not be prohibited.
That's how I viewed those always. But they were in addition to an island outlet and not instead of.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
We’re is he asking about from floor ?

why can’t you have receptacle at end of island as long as you don’t go past the overhang limit or to low.

calLewis

Occupation
electrician
I don't see anything in 2023 210.52(c)(2) & (3) that prohibits a receptacle at the end of an island. The way I am reading it, if a receptacle is installed below the countertop it does not count as serving the area and 2023 code does not require a receptacle to serve the area. 2020 and previous editions had many requirements for number of receptacles and where they could be installed.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was in new some new builds recently and the builder was doing the same thing with the wall next to the cabinets and having a outlet. Larger development, but not inexpensive.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm about to redo my kitchen island and countertop and I told the wife that the outlets need to be in the island countertop and she said she does not want that.