Outside EMT is bonded, but I am still so confused about the use of a grounding rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfbaja

New User
Occupation
Retired
Residential - 3 Wire 12AWG Romex on its own circuit, 20a breaker, into a metal jbox in the garage.

Garage Jbox is pigtailed to ground with incoming Romex and attached to 3 wire 12 AWG Thhn. The 3 wire Thhn exists the garage wall through EMT that is secured to the garage Jbox.

EMT Runs on outside stucco of house that enters a metal receptacle box with 20a GFCI, grounds are pigtailed to the metal box. EMT exits that GFCI box to another larger Metal R3 Jbox that is 10"x10" where it now branches off with three separate runs of EMT that dives into the dirt and transitions to PVC Schedule 40 to other lights (receptacles) in the yard. All outside EMT is connected with Water Tight Connections.

All branches will be grounded by a bus bar I will install in the metal 10" x 10" Box or grounding lug.

I believe this is a correct bonding...but

Now my confusion...

I have a floating EMT Run with two Metal boxes on the outside and one in the garage. Does that Bus bar effectively bond all the boxes and EMT together (Except the boxes out in the yard for the lights.? I believe so but what about grounding due to lightning hitting the 10x10 metal box and/or EMT on the outside of the house?

If I now attach a 6awg to the 10x10 metal jbox bus bar to send out through pvc on the bottom of the box to a ground rod that I will install. Does that 6awg wire to ground rod reduce the probability the breaker will trip from the fault by drawing too much and not flipping the breaker?

Major confusion and unable to find a good answer.

I did go over Bob Ludecke's Grounding Presentation, which is outstanding, but unable to figure out if my answer lies in there.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules.

This site is designed for:

Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors

This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.

Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work who are not qualified. The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike Holt Enterprises and the Moderators of this Forum do not wish to place you and your family in danger, by allowing others to give you too little information to ensure that the installation is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.