Outside Hot tub on wooden deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I can't recall if this has been addressed before or not, so here it goes.

I have an outside, fiberglass, hot tub that is mounted on a wooden deck. The bottom half of the tub is actually below grade, in the dirt. The wooden deck is above grade and the top of the hot tub rises about 12" above the deck. There are no electrical connections to the hot tub. Both the water and air are routed from the GFCI protected pump and blower, respectively, in PVC.

How does NEC 2008, 680.26 apply in this case?

elohr46

I can't recall if this has been addressed before or not, so here it goes.

I have an outside, fiberglass, hot tub that is mounted on a wooden deck. The bottom half of the tub is actually below grade, in the dirt. The wooden deck is above grade and the top of the hot tub rises about 12" above the deck. There are no electrical connections to the hot tub. Both the water and air are routed from the GFCI protected pump and blower, respectively, in PVC.

How does NEC 2008, 680.26 apply in this case?

I don't know how you would install an EBG in your case. Your saying your pump & blower motors are remotely located away (more than 6' from the inside of the spa wall) from the Spa, I still think you have to bond the pool water under the 2008 code. 9 square inches of contact surface minimum. 680.26(C)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We are not talking grounding but bonding. 680.26 is required for tubs outside. The equipotential bonding is a trick to do when you have a wooden deck. I would get with my ahj and see what he/she wants.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
Outside Hot Tub on Wooden Deck

Outside Hot Tub on Wooden Deck

Thanks for the responses guys. MY pump and blower are located on their own concrete slab about 20 feet away and the air and water are run to the hot tub via underground PVC pipes. The pump, blower and propane heater are all bonded together, connected to a grounding conductor going back to my service panel and also to a local ground rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.