Outside lights on siding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - i was wondering how you guys handle this situation. In my area every time someone has their siding redone the siding contractors remove the outside light boxes from the studs and push them back in the wall. They pull just enough wire thru the siding adaptor and then mount the light with drywall screws to the siding adaptor. How would you handle this? Thanks

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Old work box and charge the home owner.
Would catch the sliders and give them some business cards to hand out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Notify the local electrical and building inspectors, then ask the HO who their insurance carrier is.

Roger

Notify the local electrical and building inspectors, then ask the HO who their insurance carrier is.

Roger
Most times the wires are still in the box that got pushed back in the wall so usually we can't use an old work. The homeowners don't want to have a hole cut on the inside to redo the box. Do you still hang the light.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Most times the wires are still in the box that got pushed back in the wall so usually we can't use an old work. The homeowners don't want to have a hole cut on the inside to redo the box. Do you still hang the light.

This is a typical case of “real world” versus “perfect world”

I understand completely your situation. I used to be in the “perfect world” camp. “Oh gosh there is no listed and labeled box to properly make splices in....the house will explode if I even think about screwing the bracket to the wall and making up splices behind the light canopy....no way, I will not participate in such dangerous hackery!!”

Fast forward and now I’m in the “real world” camp...I’ve seen so many lights with no box behind them. Typically exterior wall mounts and bathroom vanity lights. Would I prefer a box, sure. Would I install a box if I was roughing it in originally, sure. Do I think it’s a huge deal, I don’t think so.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I think you meant to quote sameguy, I was not kidding about notifying the inspectors. Siding contractors are not exempt from building codes.

Roger

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
JW, not sure why you would open the wall inside, you have to open the out side, maybe cut the box it self out with dykes then replace with an old work, pop in box, flanged box, screwed from the side box .Carlon BH614R (Pop in box) the others with Madison clamps I call old work.

Status
Not open for further replies.