Outside or Inside Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I am trying to determine which would be easier for myself, installing a panel inside or outside of a building. The building is a 16x30 pre-built structure. The owner wants to add a 100amp panel and a few circuits to for the building. When I think of grounding the building it seems easier to mount the panel on the outside, but when I think of running the circuits it seems better to mount it on the inside. Either way I want it to pass inspection without the inspector having. Any advice on both method or one? Thanks ahead of time....

growler

Unless there is a really good reason to do so I never mount a panel on the outside. It rains out there and I may have to work on it at a later date.

gndrod

I am trying to determine which would be easier for myself, installing a panel inside or outside of a building. The building is a 16x30 pre-built structure. The owner wants to add a 100amp panel and a few circuits to for the building. When I think of grounding the building it seems easier to mount the panel on the outside, but when I think of running the circuits it seems better to mount it on the inside. Either way I want it to pass inspection without the inspector having. Any advice on both method or one? Thanks ahead of time....

Inside for earlier reasons given unless...Main disconnect is combined. In some jurisdictions the main disconnect is required on the outside for fire emergencies where in the case a locked meter cannot be pulled quickly.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
When I think of grounding the building it seems easier to mount the panel on the outside

You think it's really that much harder to drill a 5/16" hole from the panel inside out to your ground wire, enough that you'd want to mount a panel outside and run your circuits to it?

but when I think of running the circuits it seems better to mount it on the inside

Of course!

Either way I want it to pass inspection without the inspector having. Any advice on both method or one? Thanks ahead of time.

Are you saying you think the inspector would have a problem with an outside panel????

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Here in the Philly Pa area, the only time I see a panel on the outside is when there is no inside.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So what is the advantage of the panel on the outside? And how would you enter all of your homeruns?

Well you don't have to buy a seperate disconnect for the exteriror, if you use a flush mounted panel then all of the home runs are still inside, plus you never have to worry about clearance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.