Outside recepatacle with FS Metal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Have a house that has an FS Red Dot Metal Box and the old "flip-up" metal cover is busted off. How does one get one of those bubbles installed? I've seen just the bubbles, but not sure what "covers" the receptacle. I've been installing those Arlington Recessed InBox in both Vertical and Horizontal on all my new work. Haven't ran in to this situation yet on re-works.

mdshunk

The bubble cover is more or less a gasketed plastic cover with a big bubble lid. They look like sin on an FS box, but your hands are tied.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would imagine that any standard bubble cover would fit the box if you remove what's left of the old one.

mdshunk

I have recessed more receptacles in brick and block with a diamond wheel on a 4-1/2" grinder in the last few years than in my entire career. Ever since the bubble cover requirement, it is becoming more aesthetically important to recess receptacle boxes whenever possible. The combination of a big, ugly weatherproof box with a bigger and uglier bubble cover on it are really objectionable to many people.

mdshunk

NolaTigaBait said:
mdshunk, what kind of box do you use when you recess the box in brick?
Normally just a regular metal wall box. I'll either wedge it in place by hammering cut nails between the edges of the box and the brick, or glue it in place with PL Premium.

brian john

4-1/2 Grinder is one of the most versitle tool ou there IMO.

I use it to cut copper bus (WHAT A MESS), cut doors on gear to accept a new/different meter, cut all thread and deburr.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
bjp_ne_elec said:
Have a house that has an FS Red Dot Metal Box and the old "flip-up" metal cover is busted off. How does one get one of those bubbles installed? I've seen just the bubbles, but not sure what "covers" the receptacle. I've been installing those Arlington Recessed InBox in both Vertical and Horizontal on all my new work. Haven't ran in to this situation yet on re-works.
Although it's not as strong a mount, the single screw in the center of a duplex will mount the cover. But I suspect that FS box will have the standard four corner screws for a reasonably secure mount. Look at T&B Red Dot
ckmdv_le1_2.jpg

cksdv_le1_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.