Overhead insulated power cable visibility marker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Here is my situation, we have insulated overhead arial bundled cables. Looking for a product to improve the visibility of the cable on a temporary basis (crane lifts). I know I could use insulating blankets, but that seems a bit much and it put our electrical folks in harms way installing them .. I'm just want to make the line more visible to the crane operators. Looking for something that could be hung and removed with a hot stick. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There was an overhead power line that stood out to me that I used to see when i was walking the dog. Somehow a pair of shoes that were laced together were hanging by the laces on the power line. they were very visible.

Maybe they should be EH rated shoes. :)

personally, i think if the crane operator does not know where the power lines are, he should not be operating the crane.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here is my situation, we have insulated overhead arial bundled cables. Looking for a product to improve the visibility of the cable on a temporary basis (crane lifts). I know I could use insulating blankets, but that seems a bit much and it put our electrical folks in harms way installing them .. I'm just want to make the line more visible to the crane operators. Looking for something that could be hung and removed with a hot stick. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:?

Here ya go...:http://www.pr-tech.com/wp-content/themes/PR-Tech/pdf/quikmark-data-sheet.pdf

cornbread

The crane operators know where the lines are but they are telling me that visibility markers helps them with depth perception.

I looked at the product on link and will dig into a bit futher, but it looks like its desgined for a un-insulated single conductor. I should have expanded on my description on our distribution system. Lack of a better description its like a Triplex suspended from messenger cable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The crane operators know where the lines are but they are telling me that visibility markers helps them with depth perception.

I looked at the product on link and will dig into a bit futher, but it looks like its desgined for a un-insulated single conductor. I should have expanded on my description on our distribution system. Lack of a better description its like a Triplex suspended from messenger cable.

do these guys work for you or for the crane service?

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
My first thought would be children's swimming poll noodles. But putting them on with a hot stick and finding them in a toy store this time of year might both be difficult.

cornbread

do these guys work for you or for the crane service?

These our folks, its a large chemical plant with our own internal power distribution system..all insulated aerial bundled cables. The orginal design has the power grid surrounding the different process areas... mainteneance work often requires the use of crane and that is when we would like to make our cable a bit more visible to the crane operator. In the past we have used insulating blankets, hung by hand from a bucket truck. While it serves the purpose of visibility, we are adding addition weight on the line, adding additional risk to the electrician installing and removing the blankets. Hence my search for a product that would hang from the cables, installed / removed with a hot stick, wont' damage the insulation & light weight that provides visibility for our crane operators.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

It will work for triplex, quadraplex, in the .pdf it states: Our durable and patented SnapFast mounting clamp securely prevents line slippage on single or bundled cables 0.375”–2.75” in diameter. (Clamp for smaller lines available by special order.)

I have run cranes before, and they help tremendously with depth perception. It isn't hard for a line to get lost 80 ft. away...

Status
Not open for further replies.