Overhead Phone and Untility Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred5797

I am located in GA and work for a ready-mix concrete company as a Director of Safety. All of our trucks max. height is 13'3", empty or loaded. I would like to know what codes, and how are they worded, applies to overhead utility lines (including phone, cable TV, power, etc.). Does the same codes apply, per NEC and or other codes, across the country or do they change, per more restricted application, per state/county? This information would help me per questions regarding applicable codes and possible incidents.

charlie

Re: Overhead Phone and Untility Lines

It depends on who installs, owns, and maintains the overhead lines. Assuming it is an electric or communications utility, the NESC applies. If it is privately owned, the NEC applies (generally Sections 225.18 and 230.24).

Generally speaking, you are fine as long as you are not on residential property. :D

wolff162

Not sure if this is what you are asking about, but OSHA talks to this. In part:

1910.333(c)(3)(iii)

"Vehicular and mechanical equipment."

1910.333(c)(3)(iii)(A)

Any vehicle or mechanical equipment capable of having parts of its structure elevated near energized overhead lines shall be operated so that a clearance of 10 ft. (305 cm) is maintained. If the voltage is higher than 50kV, the clearance shall be increased 4 in. (10 cm) for every 10kV over that voltage. However, under any of the following conditions, the clearance may be reduced:

Go to http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9910
for the rest of it.

Hope this helps you.

charlie

If you are operating on a job site, OSHA governs but if you are traveling on streets, roads, etc. then the NESC generally applies. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.