Overhead power lines vs Cable Trays

cheglar

New User
Occupation
Safety
There are multiple standards that limit mechanically operated equipment from operating within the 10 foot minimum clear distance between the overhead lines.

Where is the guidance in the NEC that exempts overhead cable trays from the 10' minimum distance requirements when containing lines of the same voltage? I suspect it's because the trays are treated similar to conduit but I'm just guessing. Thanks for your input.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Overhead lines on poles are not insulated most of the time, while the cables and conductors in a cable tray are insulated. You can safely touch the cables and conductors in the tray barehanded and while you are grounded...you can't do that with the typical overhead conductor.

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
It sounds like a PUC(public utility co.) issue. Yes there is a certain distance between powerlines and other objects. The distance is designated by what Voltage is Overhead. I have the picture in my head but dont know what to refer to. If you see a telephone pole, you will have power up top, then all other Puc's below that by like 4+ feet. Hope this helps a lil bit.