Overhead service entrance elbow requirements

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
Hi guys I have a 125 amp main service upgrade for a commercial small office.. I will be using size 2 wire and 1.5 in rigid conduit. I need to make two 90deg turns..one about 3ft from the top of the panel and the other about 20 ft down the wall to go up to my service entrance. What can I use to make the turns.
Any help is appreciated..Project is in CA

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just buy some manufactured 90° elbows from the supply house. Are you going to cut and thread your own nipples?

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
I have a pipe threader. Can I use sweep elbows with couplings? Or does it have to be LB's for the turns

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are sweep elbows required by the POCO (here they’re only required below grade)? If not I would use standard 90° elbows. From what you've described conduit bodies are not needed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes that's it. Buy two elbows and cut and thread your nipples. Are you using the vertical portion by the drop as a mast to attach the drop?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes going to use unistrut and uni clamps.
Just make sure that there are no couplings on the vertical portion that extends above the parapet when using the raceway as a connection point for the drop. Also check with your POCO for sizing of the mast. Many require a minimum of 2" or 2.5" RMC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have answered this one before. Yes, use normal elbows, couplings, and thread the conduit to fit.

I suggest recommending to your customer to size everything for 200 or 225 amps for future needs.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This might help to explain.

Attachments

• Electrical Service Requirements (ESR) - 2022, Overhead Conduit Service.pdf
    159.1 KB · Views: 4

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Are sweep elbows required by the POCO (here they’re only required below grade)? If not I would use standard 90° elbows. From what you've described conduit bodies are not needed.
What is the difference between sweep elbows and standard 90 degree elbows?? Is sweep field bent and standard factory bent??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the difference between sweep elbows and standard 90 degree elbows?? Is sweep field bent and standard factory bent??
No you can buy sweep elbows. Here the local POCO requires them underground so the local Home Depot or Lowes sells them. The POCO will dictate the amount of sweep required. I believe for 2" it's about 3 feet.