Overhead Triplex in PVC Sleeve to Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbalkema

Can I run the triplex in a PVC sleeve down the pole, into the disconnect?
Situation: Overhead Triplex Aluminum Span between two poles for temporary power.PVC is terminated in the side of the disconnect, short nipple to an LB turned up, then conduit up the pole - open on top, Triplex comes into the PVC unspliced.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

The neutral conductor must be insulated except where run as a messenger supported wiring and only for the aerial span of the cable. Take a look at 396.30(B) (2008 NEC)

Also take a look at 225.11. This section requires service weatherheads or goosenecks where overhead spans enter or exit.

Chris

Welcome to the forum.:)

The neutral conductor must be insulated except where run as a messenger supported wiring and only for the aerial span of the cable. Take a look at 396.30(B) (2008 NEC)

Also take a look at 225.11. This section requires service weatherheads or goosenecks where overhead spans enter or exit.

Chris

Chris
Installing a bare grounded conductor for overhead wiring on the secondary side of the service disconnecting means is very limited. 396.30 does not give permission to use the grounded conductor as bare, I see it as saying "when it is permitted", such as in service entrance overhead.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hence that is why you will always see a switch from triplex to insulated conductors in the conduit.

raider1

Staff member
Chris
Installing a bare grounded conductor for overhead wiring on the secondary side of the service disconnecting means is very limited. 396.30 does not give permission to use the grounded conductor as bare, I see it as saying "when it is permitted", such as in service entrance overhead.

Here is what I am referencing, again this is from the 2008 NEC:

(B) Neutral Conductor. Where the messenger is used as a neutral conductor, it shall comply with the requirements of 225.4, 250.184(A), 250.184(B)(7), and 250.186(B).

250.184 Solidly Grounded Neutral Systems.(A) Neutral Conductor.
(1) Insulation Level. The minimum insulation level for neutral conductors of solidly grounded systems shall be 600 volts.
Exception No. 1: Bare copper conductors shall be permitted to be used for the neutral conductor of the following:
(1) Service-entrance conductors
(2) Service laterals
(3) Direct-buried portions of feeders.
Exception No. 2: Bare conductors shall be permitted for the neutral conductor of overhead portions installed outdoors.
Exception No. 3: The grounded neutral conductor shall be permitted to be a bare conductor if isolated from phase conductors and protected from physical damage.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Sorry for the confusion, what I am trying to say is that the OPer could not use the bare conductor of the triplex for a grounded conductor in the conduit.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.