Overload Device in standalone JB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I have an installation involving a 115VAC, 1/3Hp motor. A single phase circuit (120VAC, Line-Neutral) comes off a branch CB at a local panel board and routes thru a 'control station' - a single pole snap switch near the motor. The motor overload device is mounted in a separate Nema 7 box adjacent to the switch within a few inches. Is this a code violation because the OL is separate from the switch?

thanks

Isaiah

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You can get a motor rated switch with overloads, thats the simplest solution. Is the OL in the NEMA 7 box something that was purchased or field assembled?
If field assembled, how do you reset the OL?
No its not a violation, but you need a disconnect ahead of the motor controller and another for the motor. Review 430.102

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
You can get a motor rated switch with overloads, thats the simplest solution. Is the OL in the NEMA 7 box something that was purchased or field assembled?
If field assembled, how do you reset the OL?
No its not a violation, but you need a disconnect ahead of the motor controller and another for the motor. Review 430.102

The Controller Disconnect will be the branch CB and the Motor Disconnect will be the snap switch - (430.109(6) and 430.109(C) - both CB and snap switch are lockable. Resetting the OL? I suppose it will have to be custom made Nema 7 JB; but sounds kinda expensive.

kwired

Electron manager
The Controller Disconnect will be the branch CB and the Motor Disconnect will be the snap switch - (430.109(6) and 430.109(C) - both CB and snap switch are lockable. Resetting the OL? I suppose it will have to be custom made Nema 7 JB; but sounds kinda expensive.
Anything NEMA 7 is going to be on the expensive side. I'd probably go with the manual motor switch with integral overload idea that was mentioned before and put it into a NEMA 7 switch enclosure(which is likely what you do have for a switch enclosure already. Kind of expensive but a standard item vs a specialty item to some extent. Or if you can locate the overload outside the classified location you don't need an expensive enclosure for it.

retirede

We used to order Killark N7 boxes custom drilled for various controls.
The additional charge for the drilling and tapping the holes was not that outrageous.
There are, iirc, plungers that mount in N7 boxes for resetting OLs.
It’s been more than a few years since I’ve been involved with such things!

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Anything NEMA 7 is going to be on the expensive side. I'd probably go with the manual motor switch with integral overload idea that was mentioned before and put it into a NEMA 7 switch enclosure(which is likely what you do have for a switch enclosure already. Kind of expensive but a standard item vs a specialty item to some extent. Or if you can locate the overload outside the classified location you don't need an expensive enclosure for it.

I am going with manual motor starter with overload in Factroy sealed enclosure —

thanks to all

Isaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.