overload protection for locally switched motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi gang,
I need to add overload protection to a motor that includes switching controls (at the operator location). The equipment is moving and I need to conform with latest codes, which require such protection. (under CEC, I need this unless the motor has such protection built in, which it turns out that it does not. I expect NEC is the same rule).

Normally I spec a motor starter or overload relay for motors, with some kind of control system that switches them. Here, I need no control, just overload protection. Perhaps it is best and cheapest to simply wire a standard starter near the panel where the circuit originates, wired so it is always on (unless of course the overload trips)..?

thanks

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
3 phase or single phase? HP? Voltage? Give us something to work with here...

Generally, you are looking at a manual motor starter, but here's the rub. An MMS will turn on and if it trips, should require a reset action to turn back on. But an MMS does NOT drop out in a power loss. So when power is restored, whatever it is running will immediately re-start. If that's OK, use an MMS. If not, use a Mag starter and a 3 wire control circuit, or add an Under Voltage Release to the MMS.

kwired

Electron manager
Hi gang,
I need to add overload protection to a motor that includes switching controls (at the operator location). The equipment is moving and I need to conform with latest codes, which require such protection. (under CEC, I need this unless the motor has such protection built in, which it turns out that it does not. I expect NEC is the same rule).

Normally I spec a motor starter or overload relay for motors, with some kind of control system that switches them. Here, I need no control, just overload protection. Perhaps it is best and cheapest to simply wire a standard starter near the panel where the circuit originates, wired so it is always on (unless of course the overload trips)..?

thanks

My confusion is in the first paragraph you say "includes switching controls (at the operator location)" then in the second paragraph you say "Here, I need no control, just overload protection". Those two statements oppose each other.

As has been said, if your load is always on, and is ok to restart automatically after a power failure then a manual motor starter is probably the way to go. If you don't want restart after a power failure use a magnetic starter, possibly with start stop control mounted right in the starter enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.