Oversized conductor

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I imagine 2/0 wire won't fit into a 65-amp Square D breaker. What's your opinion on pulling 2/0 wire through an already crowded panel and using lug adapters versus running #4 copper from the breaker to a junction box below the panel and splicing the #4 copper to 2/0 aluminum with Polaris connectors?"

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I was considering #4 because it's closer in size to the 2/0, compared to the #6. Also, the 2/0 wire is running about 600 feet to an RV panel with a 50-amp breaker powering a NEMA 14-50R, so I'll probably need to step it down again at the other end to fit on the lugs in the RV panel. I just wanted to make sure the connections are as solid as possible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was considering #4 because it's closer in size to the 2/0, compared to the #6. Also, the 2/0 wire is running about 600 feet to an RV panel with a 50-amp breaker powering a NEMA 14-50R, so I'll probably need to step it down again at the other end to fit on the lugs in the RV panel. I just wanted to make sure the connections are as solid as possible.
Just curious why a 65 amp breaker if it's feeding a 50 amp breaker in the RV panel? If the panel is exceptionally crowded I would go the junction box route and use Polaris style connectors.