Oversized decorative "Jelly Jar" lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
A customer saw this light for sale, and wants to buy similar. (Wife saw it and now wants one too... :) ). The person who posted the picture doesn't know where it came from or who made it. I tried Google Lens, but it didn't come up with a match either.

It sorta looks like a decorative light you'd see along a park pathway or something.

red-jelly-jar.PNG

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That looks like a light for a hazardous area. Looks like someone painted it and modified it, then either used it for general lighting, or made it to sell.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Given its size, I wonder if it's for a marine application, or intended for large structure illumination, or hazard warning as Little Bill suggested.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Given its size, I wonder if it's for a marine application, or intended for large structure illumination, or hazard warning as Little Bill suggested.
The wifey thinks it's a marine light as well. I don't think it's a hazzardous location light, it doesn't have enough guarding around it, and I can't find a hazzardous light anywhere near this big.

I also can't find anyone who makes a jelly jar that size.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The wifey thinks it's a marine light as well. I don't think it's a hazzardous location light, it doesn't have enough guarding around it, and I can't find a hazzardous light anywhere near this big.

I also can't find anyone who makes a jelly jar that size.
Yeah, I gave it a quick Google, but there's only so far I'll go down that rabbit hole.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I checked hazard warning lights for towers, rooftops and marine from Federal Signal. Nothing that large. Likely what that is an antique. Could be a hazard warning or, like you say from a light post. Even from a ship.

-Hal

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
red-jelly-jar.PNG
This is the best I could do .. Google search ....Vintage waterproof cage red light marine industrial lighting

1665116057293.png

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Well, the mystery has been solved! The price was more than fair so we decided to just go buy the thing. It was a bit of a drive but it was a nice day.

The thing is obviously heavy, probably 40 pounds. But a good chunk of that weight is the ballast it currently has in it.

The jar is actually thin polycarbonate, not glass as I assumed it was.

It was made in 2015.

So who made it? It was a lighting line called "Antique Street lamp" by Acuity. The line was discontinued several years ago.

Now I need to figure out how to hang it properly.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Well, the mystery has been solved! The price was more than fair so we decided to just go buy the thing. It was a bit of a drive but it was a nice day.

The thing is obviously heavy, probably 40 pounds. But a good chunk of that weight is the ballast it currently has in it.

The jar is actually thin polycarbonate, not glass as I assumed it was.

It was made in 2015.

So who made it? It was a lighting line called "Antique Street lamp" by Acuity. The line was discontinued several years ago.

Now I need to figure out how to hang it properly.
It is a cool looking fixture. Be nice for just the right spot.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
You might want to rethink the use of the 150W MH lamp, depending on where.

-Hal
I plan on taking out the ballast and using a 120v LED bulb. I need to find something decorative that sorta looks and gives the same glow as a MH bulb.
Now that we have something to go on...

Look at page 4 at model EC13RT Copenhagen series. Thumb through the catalog to see how it could be mounted.

https://issuu.com/alconlighting/docs/antique_street_lamps

-Hal
Thanks, I hadn't had a chance to dig deeper yet....

The catalog says they are designed to mount on a swing arm....I looked at their swing arms and it says they include a swivel for mounting the fixture. Of course there's no picture of said swivel, and the product line is long gone. I suppose I could email Acuity support and see if they would send me a picture.

The hole at the top is smooth, so I'm guessing there was a hollow rod that went into the fixture, maybe with threads at the botton to attach the fixture with a nut, and then run the wires through the rod into the arm.

I think my best route is to measure the hole in the fixture and drill it out to 7/16, tap it, and use something like an Eaton fixture hook to hang it on a chain with. Eaton Fixture hooks

I'm all ears if someone has a better idea.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I plan on taking out the ballast and using a 120v LED bulb. I need to find something decorative that sorta looks and gives the same glow as a MH bulb.

Thanks, I hadn't had a chance to dig deeper yet....

The catalog says they are designed to mount on a swing arm....I looked at their swing arms and it says they include a swivel for mounting the fixture. Of course there's no picture of said swivel, and the product line is long gone. I suppose I could email Acuity support and see if they would send me a picture.

The hole at the top is smooth, so I'm guessing there was a hollow rod that went into the fixture, maybe with threads at the botton to attach the fixture with a nut, and then run the wires through the rod into the arm.

I think my best route is to measure the hole in the fixture and drill it out to 7/16, tap it, and use something like an Eaton fixture hook to hang it on a chain with. Eaton Fixture hooks

I'm all ears if someone has a better idea.
Since we are typing our responses, it would be better if you were "all eyes"!:D

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would have thought that the hub on top was tapped for something like 1/2" pipe.

How you hang or mount it depends on where it's going. Indoors, outdoors, wall, ceiling, pole?

MH doesn't glow it LIGHTS. If you want the same effect, use a 5000K LED bulb for the same color temperature, it's just not as bright.

-Hal

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
I searched far and wide for a 1/2" hollow bolt. Lots of metric stuff but only 2 SAE sources that I could find. Some surplus dealer on eBay selling old space craft bolts and an exercise equipment dealer that uses them to put some weight holding cable through... $16 each plus $8 shipping to get a bolt.

So I tapped the hole and ran the bolt up through the bottom and used a 1/2” eye nut to hang it with. The bolt has a .27" opening so I used some 18/3 SOV cable that has a diameter of .26".

It'll hang nicely in the entry way on a length of chain.

20221103_203540.jpg

Spent $60 on a bulb for it. It has a nice glow.

20221103_203515.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.