Oversized Feeders and Associated Equipment Grounding Conductors

Occupation
PE
NEC 250.122(B): New for 2020 - If ungrounded conductors are increased in size.....wire-type equipment grounding conductors (EGC) shall be increased in size proportionally to the increase in circular mil area of the ungrounded conductors.

See calculation example in NEC Handbook.

Another example: 200A feeder, 250kcmil AL wire upsized to 900kcmil AL to compensate for voltage drop - normally the EGC would be #6CU, per NEC 250.122(A).
900000 / 250000 = 3.6; from Table 8 in Chapter 9, area of #6CU = 26240cmil, so the area of the upsized EGC = 3.6 * 26240 = 94464.
Upsized EGC = #1/0CU

Question: Suppose the distance is long enough to require a parallel 900AL feeder (2 sets), is this calculation based off the total area (1800kcmil) or the area of just one of the feeders (900kcmil)? It's a difference of #1/0CU EGC vs. #4/0CU EGC in each feeder.....and at the distances involved, that becomes very expensive quickly.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Question: Suppose the distance is long enough to require a parallel 900AL feeder (2 sets), is this calculation based off the total area (1800kcmil) or the area of just one of the feeders (900kcmil)? It's a difference of #1/0CU EGC vs. #4/0CU EGC in each feeder.....and at the distances involved, that becomes very expensive quickly.

Based off the total area.

This is not new in the 2020 NEC. I think it just got renumbered.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Question: Suppose the distance is long enough to require a parallel 900AL feeder (2 sets), is this calculation based off the total area (1800kcmil) or the area of just one of the feeders (900kcmil)?
Since you have 2 sets of 900's you would use the combined size of 1800 kcmils to calculate the EGC size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No offense to the OP, but I hear something like that and, unless it's a theoretical question, I question whether they know what they are doing. Perhaps the OP could supply more details such as voltage and length and we can offer some suggestions.
I know that some designers just look at the chart and pick a conductor size or they use a voltage drop calculator and it spits out 900 kcmil. For us we never install anything larger than 750's.