Overtime with paid holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daja7

If an employee gets a paid holiday like thanksgiving and he works 32 hours durring the week and 4 on saturday does the paid day count as 8? 32+4+ 8hrs paid holiday..44hrs

jeremysterling

Where I work, the math is the same as yours. 44 hours. The policy where I work is that holiday and vacation hours do not count towards the first worked 40 hours for overtime consideration.

John120/240

If an employee gets a paid holiday like thanksgiving and he works 32 hours durring the week and 4 on saturday does the paid day count as 8? 32+4+ 8hrs paid holiday..44hrs

The paid holiday counts as 8 hours straight time. So in your case 32 + 4= 36 hours worked

at straight time. Here over time is only paid for hours actually worked.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For us holidays and weekends are time and a half even if it's the only day you worked that week.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
For us holidays and weekends are time and a half even if it's the only day you worked that week.

Holidays double, weekends and anything after 4:00 is OT

That is assuming you have the 40 hours at the weeks end. Be it vacation, holiday time, sick time, or whatever.

If I am on vacation and get called in, it is DT

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Typically...

ST scheduled 40
DT Sundays and Holidays
OT everything else worked

...and don't get holiday pay.

iwire

Staff member

Very hard to answer, it depends on your local labor laws, company policies and any contracts that may be in place for you.

Where I am, in general holiday hours do not count legally as hours worked. So a Thursday holiday with 8 hours on sat could be paid as 48 hours straight time.

But the company I work for has a policy of paying service guys what they charge the customer. We charge time and a half for Saturdays so I would get time and a half for Saturday even with 0 straight time hours. Work on Sundays and holidays are double time for us.

jumper

For me:

Holiday, vacation, sick leave, etc do not count as the working 40 to get OT.

However, I get OT for anything past working 40, any workday past 8, and any hours on Sat.

Never open on Sun. or actual holidays.

nhfire77

Very hard to answer, it depends on your local labor laws, company policies and any contracts that may be in place for you.

Where I am, in general holiday hours do not count legally as hours worked. So a Thursday holiday with 8 hours on sat could be paid as 48 hours straight time.

But the company I work for has a policy of paying service guys what they charge the customer. We charge time and a half for Saturdays so I would get time and a half for Saturday even with 0 straight time hours. Work on Sundays and holidays are double time for us.

I do that. Its fair when your asking a guy to work those hours. Profit wise not the best decision, but I'd rather be a nice guy once in a while. Call me loony, but a little karma in the bank is more than a few extra dollars.

iwire

Staff member
I do that. Its fair when your asking a guy to work those hours. Profit wise not the best decision, but I'd rather be a nice guy once in a while. Call me loony, but a little karma in the bank is more than a few extra dollars.

From my discussions about it with the owner that seems to be his thoughts as well.

It does kind of suck to go out on a Sunday to take care of a problem knowing the company is getting DT the billing rate but the employee not getting OT on his pay rate due to not having worked a full 40 during the week for whatever reason.

Legal for sure, but not very inspiring.

John120/240

From my discussions about it with the owner that seems to be his thoughts as well.

It does kind of suck to go out on a Sunday to take care of a problem knowing the company is getting DT the billing rate but the employee not getting OT on his pay rate due to not having worked a full 40 during the week for whatever reason.

Legal for sure, but not very inspiring.

That would be a morale buster knowing you get just straight time. Are you on call ? Example

you agree to be aviable Saturday & Sunday, with a clear head. If so the employee should get

on call pay plus time & 1/2 or double time for hours worked.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
That's a good wau to go your guys will jump on any saturday regardless of what week it is..:thumbsup:

nhfire77

That's a good wau to go your guys will jump on any saturday regardless of what week it is..:thumbsup:

Yes, when imposing on an employees personal time I always find a way to compensate them in a meaningful way. So when I drop on them Monday is 12-8p and tuesday 5a start everyone still shows

brian john

For us if you work Saturday, you get 40 Hr.s for M-F plus We would pay DT for Saturday, if you worked Thursday or Friday you would get 8 ST plus double and a half.

renosteinke

I used to work places that counted all hours the same way, and figured overtime on a daily basis. It seemed pretty straightforward: here's the expected work schedule, and anything in addition is overtime.

Indeed, our Labor Dept. kept going after one employer I had, and we had to fill out extremely complicated time reports. On a typical shift, it was common for there to be four different pay rates: Base rate, shift differentials for certain hours, OT for more than 8/day, OT+ for more than 40/wk.

That seems to have gone the way of the Oldsmobile. Various Labor Department rulings, in the decades since, have resulted in most employers only counting hours actually worked towards overtime.

Paying overtime is a lot like NEC code compliance; most employers actual follow practices that are in excess of what the rules actually require.

How mean is the boss? Well, look at it this way: the USDOL isn't interested at all in upholding any agreement you might have, as long as you're getting at least the minimum wage. I've seen employers pull that one: no overtime rate at all. Complain? Amazingly enough, Immigration comes to visit.

It's real easy to believe you 'should' be paid more. In the end, you have to vote with your feet. Government isn't going to help you.

My current employer pays overtime only counting 'worked' hours. As you might guess, I wasn't too motivated to work overtime last week. A lot of what I COULD have done last week will get done this week - at time-an-a-half.

As the famous Polish Electrician Lech Walesa said: they pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.