packaged hot tub bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

NEC 680.42 for hot tubs says we must follow parts1 and ll of 680. Section ll is for permanently installed pools. Does a packaged hot tub need to comply with section ll of 680? Do we need to bond metal frames of windows if within 5? of a packaged hot tub?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yes parts I &II apply to outside installations and in my opinion the window frame does not require bonding. Here is an article you might find useful.

http://ecmweb.com/nec/top2008neccxs_021909/

What about 680.26(B)(7)? This is under part II and would apply to a hot tub. The graphic is old but it still accurate under the re-written 680.26 in the 2008 NEC.

1100723312_2.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That old thread was interesting. I'm surprised that Ryan didn't elaborate considering he was involved with the change in graphic. Mike's new graphic is related to 680.26(B)(6) and rightfully so does not depict the windows and door frames that's because the fixed metal parts requirement is in 680.26(B)(7). IMO metal door frames, windows and fences within 5' without barriers still require bonding. For what it's worth the 2008 NECH, under 680.26(B)(7) states that:

...and all fixed metal parts which include conduit and piping, metal door frames, and metal window frames, within 5' of the inside walls of the pool and not separated by a barrier. Other examples of fixed metal parts covered by this requirement include metal fences and metal awnings.

Like Mike's explanations the NECH is also just an opinion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am with M.D. on this. I have long argued that 680.26(B)(7) pertains to Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment as the heading states. I don't see doors and windows in this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am with M.D. on this. I have long argued that 680.26(B)(7) pertains to Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment as the heading states. I don't see doors and windows in this.

I agree with you, it really hinges on the 680.26(B)(7) use of the words "all fixed metal parts".

wyboy

Thanks for the answers. My question is the difference between packaged hot tubs and permanent one as defined in 680. Does 680 section ll apply to packaged hot tubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.