Paiintg Mix room

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know less about the construction of Classified areas than I do the electrical systems therein but I have set of prints for a paint mix room that calls for the area to be Class1 Div 1. The construction is sheetrock on metal studs. Doesn't seem to right for a C1D1 area. Input appreciated !

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I know less about the construction of Classified areas than I do the electrical systems therein but I have set of prints for a paint mix room that calls for the area to be Class1 Div 1. The construction is sheetrock on metal studs. Doesn't seem to right for a C1D1 area. Input appreciated !

maybe they are blowout walls.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
new term... If so, how would that affect his wiring method ?
It doesn't; Section 501.10(A) still applies. I've had a few "blowout" ceilings/roofs before but walls would be a bit dangerous. In any case the room construction itself it determined by the Uniform Building Code or whatever the local building code is. The room's physical construction only needs to be able to provide the various 3xx.30 Securing and Supporting requirements of the relevant wiring method.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

That seems a little lightweight to support the fixtures, raceway, and fittings that are required. Is it double-rocked with 1/2 or 5/8 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.