paint mixing room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdwalker

we have a paint mixing room for owner RV body shop, it class 1-2 hazardous location. At has computer and scale in the room,how do I bring the data wiring through wall from the master computer,through a sealoff:blink:?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
There are at least two/three others more qualified than I to answer this; I'm surprised they haven't already chimed in.

Sealing requirements are a matter of both the wiring method(s) used and the equipment being terminated in the classified location.

We need to know how the computer and scale are determined to be suitable for Class I, Division 2 and the wiring methods used between them and the boundary.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I remember running into this once before in an auto body shop paint room, so same thing. It goes beyond the seal-off. The link has to be intrinsically safe and I don't believe an ethernet CAT5e connection can meet that specification. A fiber optic cable would. At any rate I would contact the paint room scale and computer manufacturer for advise. I'm willing to bet there is an optical port on the back of it.

Edit to add: I assume that the paint room computer and scale are suitable for a Class 1, Div 2 location? I believe my experience was that the scale is in the room, computer outside but viewable through a window from the scale.

-Hal

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Intrinsic safe in a Auto body paint room.
Boy I am glad I never missed that one.

johnmccoll

I've run into this issue several times in the oil and gas industry. You can break your cabels out and seal them, each pair needs to be broken out, packed and then sealed. Its a nightmare. The larger question is, is the computer intrinsically safe? I've installed several connection points OUTSIDE the classified area to allow for computer connection without taking the computer inside the classification. They probably make them with a huge pricetag, but I have never seen a compter that was listed for use in a hazardous location. As mentioned before, I have also not seen data connections forhazardous locations. The barrier is the easy part of this eqation, where it gets complicated is at the termination point.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You can break your cabels out and seal them, each pair needs to be broken out, packed and then sealed. Its a nightmare.

You actuall have to break open the cable and pack each conductor seperately.
sounds like a violation of the cable integrity.

Last edited:

hbiss

Occupation
EC
why not just buy a PC rated for C1D2?

Because it would probably cost more than the paint room.

Sierrasparky
Intrinsic safe in a Auto body paint room.
Boy I am glad I never missed that one.​

Yup. Home Depot shop lights connected with extension cords, the paint agitator rack connected with SO cord to a regular wall recepticle somebody installed right next to the drums of thinner is pretty much the norm. And you want them to buy a C1D2 PC? :happysad:

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Something like this depends on the manufacturer of the mixing equipment. The one I saw had a scale undoubtedly for a C1D2 environment with an intrinsically safe cable to connect with the outside world. The computer was a regular PC. All were supplied by the manufacturer. I agree with what you say but I suspect cost and ease of installation was a factor in the design. It's still cheaper to run one cable outside than to have everything inside.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.