Paint Spray area; Art 516

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Painters have placed a very large tent over a skid for painting the mechanical portion and structural supports . The skid is totally enclosed by the tent. There is also an active control panel (w/relays, LED's, CB's, fuses etc and does not have a Z purge) near the skid that is also beneath the tent. The painters have stated they will use forced air into the tent to reduce the enclosed area from Class I, Division 2 to unclassified. This does not appear to meet 516.6 (B). Comments?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Painters have placed a very large tent over a skid for painting the mechanical portion and structural supports . The skid is totally enclosed by the tent. There is also an active control panel (w/relays, LED's, CB's, fuses etc and does not have a Z purge) near the skid that is also beneath the tent. The painters have stated they will use forced air into the tent to reduce the enclosed area from Class I, Division 2 to unclassified. This does not appear to meet 516.6 (B). Comments?
No they won't. The proper standard to apply is NFPA 496. First, ask what would the classification be without the purge. Then ask how their stated method could reduce the situation to unclassified

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Neither Article 516 nor NFPA 33, Standard for Spray Application Using Flammable of Combustible Materials, applies to this one time spraying application. However, that does not mean there are not hazards associated with this work.

Many paints used now are not flammable products, so the first thing would be to know if the paint product being used is actually a flammable product.

If it is, I would just make sure that all power to any arc producing equipment under the tent is de-energized and locked out while the spraying is being completed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Neither Article 516 nor NFPA 33, Standard for Spray Application Using Flammable of Combustible Materials, applies to this one time spraying application. However, that does not mean there are not hazards associated with this work.

Many paints used now are not flammable products, so the first thing would be to know if the paint product being used is actually a flammable product.

If it is, I would just make sure that all power to any arc producing equipment under the tent is de-energized and locked out while the spraying is being completed.
Better answer than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.