Paint Spray Booth Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolff162

We have a 50' X 50' X 50' paint spray booth. It is designated as Class 1 Division 1. New lights were installed in the room which are rated Class 1 Division 1. However the cut sheet says that they are not UL listed for paint spray suitability.

I feel that the fixture can not be used in this room since it is a spray booth and the fixture mfr states they are not UL approved. Other people here feel that they are fine to use because they are Class 1 Div 1.

Is there anything in the Code that specifically requires these lights be both Class 1 Div 1 and UL listed for paint spray? If so could someone please post it so I can go back and prevent them from blowing up our building?

thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Paint Spray Booth Lighting

I concur and more specifically 516.4(C)(3). CMP14 went through a fairly rigorous process in the 2002 cycle to choose which of "listed," "approved" or "identified" were most appropriate to use.

In this case, where the manufacture specifically has stated the equipment is not suitable, it is not "identified" and therefore not compliant.

Edit Add: There is also the ever popular 110.3(B); since the equipme is, in fact, listed. Just not for this application.

[ July 19, 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

OneWay

Re: Paint Spray Booth Lighting

I believe more specifically you are looking for Article 516-2(b)(2) to support your argument.
Reference this and find that the area can only be classified as a class I or class II division II,It cannot be a class I division I unless the applications that occur in this specific area are reassessed to meet class I division I specifications. As it stands from what you have written it sounds to be a
Class I or II Division II
So there could be a violation here.
Maybe you should suggest explosion proof fixtures, we have the same room with the "Correct"
classification at Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas
The fixtures aren't the issue here, it is the guru that classified the area
Get the correct classification, then go out and purchase the appropriate fixtures.

Some people read what they want, some read all

[ August 10, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.