Paint Storage Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello every one...

I have a situation where we have a paint storage room and the fire Marshall have requested all light fixtures and devices within this room to be explosion proof (Class 1 Div 2).

1. Is there any exception to this rule from the NEC? example; if we have adequate ventilations! or mounting height, etc
2. Who does classify the room or any rooms?is it the Architect or the engineer?

Thanks in advance...

kwired

Electron manager
Classification by fire marshall typically trumps any classification information in the NEC.

Fire marshall's classification is usually from another NFPA code.

Ventilation can make a difference, but still needs approval by AHJ - who is the fire marshall in this case.

Your electrical inspector should only be looking at the fact that the fire marshall classified it as CL1 Div 2 and not making any attempt to classify it himself.

sgunsel

Flammable storage (storage in closed containers only, with no mixing or liquid transfers) is unclassified. If containers are opened for any reason, then most likely Class I, Division 1.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello every one...

I have a situation where we have a paint storage room and the fire Marshall have requested all light fixtures and devices within this room to be explosion proof (Class 1 Div 2).

1. Is there any exception to this rule from the NEC? example; if we have adequate ventilations! or mounting height, etc

Thanks in advance...

They can request anything. Whether they can require it is something else. Think about it this way. If merely storing paint or other flammable chemicals required the area be classified, every hardware store, WalMart, and lumber yard would have to have classified areas for paint and solvent storage.

kwired

Electron manager
They can request anything. Whether they can require it is something else. Think about it this way. If merely storing paint or other flammable chemicals required the area be classified, every hardware store, WalMart, and lumber yard would have to have classified areas for paint and solvent storage.

That depends on what kind of storage it is. If it is sealed containers that are rarely opened I agree with you. If open transfering or mixing is normally done we have a different ballgame.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello every one...

Thanks in advance...

fire marshall owns this one...

storage of unopened cans is unclassified, but once a can has been opened and resealed, it is
class 1 div 2

the forced ventalation might be possible, but would require supervision, sampling, alarms
and such, i am suspecting would be expensiver than classified fixtures....

jist a thought, but i would google intrinsically safe LED lighting....

Status
Not open for further replies.