PAINTED RECPTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyrpb

Where in the code book does it prohibit painted receptacles? We have an issue in Florida and I can't find the code section.

Thanks!

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: PAINTED RECPTS

There is no NEC code prohibiting recept covers from being painted over. Some my argue 110.12(C), but IMO it refers to internal parts like buses, switched, fuses, etc.

The only place I am aware of is NFPA 73 2000 2.9.6 which state covers and wall plates may be coated with listed materials.

RYAN, got your ears on?

[ March 19, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

iwire

Staff member

Personally I do not believe it is a violation, many from FL do disagree with me though. :D

As stamcon pointed out 110-12(c) is as close as you will get to a code article that says it is a violation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I suppose that one could argue as follows: IF there is paint on the face of the receptacle, THEN how do you know that no paint made its way inside and contaminated the contacts? In my former life (design support for nuclear power plants), it was common to ask ?how do you know if? questions of this sort, and to make changes for the simple reason that ?we cannot say for certain if . . . .?

Having accidentally painted my share of receptacles (and having tried to wipe off the paint before it dries), I would not call it a violation. But I don?t think I could come up with a convincing argument, if faced with an Inspector who wanted to call it a violation.

ryan_618

Originally posted by dereckbc:

RYAN, got your ears on?
In my opinion, I think that 90.7 would give the AHJ the right to question it, on the basis of 110.11.

If I were to see a receptacle that was painted, I think I would view it on a case by case basis, meaning that if it looked sloppy and the paint appearedto have entered the receptacle, I would write it up. Sorry Dereck! :D

I do want to add though that if don't correctly it would be compliant, again in my opinion.

EDIT: In case you have the inclination, don't paint an orange triangle on it!

[ March 19, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by davidaengelhart:
Hey guys, how about 110.3. Ask the manufacturer if paint weould have an adverse effect on the finish material of the receptacles!
Have you ever thought to do that when a panel cover gets painted? :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Ryan,
In case you have the inclination, don't paint an orange triangle on it!
how about a green dot? ;)

Roger

wolfman56

I've been told that receptacles are not "listed as paintable". If you paint one you've altered it, and it looses it's listing. Therefore it is against NEC to paint devices.

dereckbc

Staff member

Ryan no need to apologize, I knew this one would be debated. All I know is where I work we paint the recepts and face plates to indicate function. To the best of my knowledge none have been rejected.

In my home they are either painted or wall-papered, but after inspection. :D :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by wolfman56:
I've been told that receptacles are not "listed as paintable". If you paint one you've altered it, and it looses it's listing. Therefore it is against NEC to paint devices.
You are correct, receptacles are not "listed as paintable", I could not find any electric equipment in the UL white book "listed as paintable".

Not conduit or Panel enclosures, nothing.

We work with a permissive code, if it does not say you can not do something, then you can do it.

The jobs I work would never allow painted receptacles, design choice not NEC. :)

In my former life (design support for nuclear power plants), it was common to ask ?how do you know if?
Glad to here that is how design works, :)

pierre

Here is another common sense situation - painting devices. I painted while I was in college, and I painted a lot of devices to match the wall. If done properly, there is no problem, but I will admit there were a few times that maybe a little paint made its way to the swipes. For an inspector to red flag a job for painted devices, in my opinion, he has to see if there is paint in the swipes, or covering the access to the device (as that will make the receptacle unavailable). I have seen that many times.
Today there are more colors available so we do not see as much painting of devices as in the past.
I would as for a code section as cited.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.