painting and our installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jflynn

I dont know how many of you guys out there,deal with jobs that get the entire steel structure painted.This has become pretty common for the last few projects we have been on.I have a couple of issues with the painting of our systems ex:raceways,FA-cable,control cable etc.My biggest beef is the painting of fire alarm cable that is usually red in color or if installed in a raceway we usually identify it @ least 10' intervals with red paint.I would think that the cables listing or for that matter any electrical materials listings are given when they are manufactured.Therfore does the painting of these system make them non-compliant?

My other issue is the time constraints painting puts on us to get ALL the systems installed before paint.Dont get me wrong we all need time to do our work-but lately it seems us electricians are getting less and less time to do our work.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Unless they are using a paint with a very aggressive solvent in it (which usually require special application techniques), the device's listing should not be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.